INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Introducing Marigold and Cookie! So excited to finally have Polish!
No broody mama. She did good thru the night but started pecking their heads when she could see them. That's okay- it gives me the ability to bond better. Marigold has imprinted on me more than any chick has ever. She will cry and if I poke my head over the top she stops and tries to "fly" up to me. It was hard to get her to stay still to even get a picture cause she wants to crawl up on me. Today they are nice and settled in. Only happy cheaps. This chicken mama is doing a contented sigh!
1f423.png
They're very cute. Glad you finally got your Polish.

Our DD wanted a silkie for several years & we finally allowed her to hatch some. She fell completely head over heals in love
love.gif
with one of the chicks. Yesterday, the kids came along to help me teach a park district class, in which we're hatching eggs. The theme of the day was chicken anatomy & simple vocab like chicken, hen, rooster, pullet, etc. DD brought her little silkie along with Bubbles (who performed her magic trick) and Darth Layer (who will contently sit in anyone's lap for the attention.) The hens traveled in a jumbo plastic tub but the silkie went in a pet purse. You know, the kind in which the celebrities carry their pampered chihuahuas. Oh she is a funny girl! I wish I had a camera. DS wore a 4H shirt, I had on my "crazy chicken lady" shirt, and DD wore a "chicks rule" shirt while carrying around a silkie in a shiny purple pet purse.

Last edited:
They're very cute. Glad you finally got your Polish.

Our DD wanted a silkie for several years & we finally allowed her to hatch some. She fell completely head over heals in love
love.gif
with one of the chicks. Yesterday, the kids came along to help me teach a park district class, in which we're hatching eggs. The theme of the day was chicken anatomy & simple vocab like chicken, hen, rooster, pullet, etc. DD brought her little silkie along with Bubbles (who performed her magic trick) and Darth Layer (who will contently sit in anyone's lap for the attention.) The hens traveled in a jumbo plastic tub but the silkie went in a pet purse. You know, the kind in which the celebrities carry their pampered chihuahuas. Oh she is a funny girl! I wish I had a camera. DS wore a 4H shirt, I had on my "crazy chicken lady" shirt, and DD wore a "chicks rule" shirt while carrying around a silkie in a shiny purple pet purse.

Last edited:
Came home to a listless chick (roughly 4 weeks old). I immediately separated her from the others and gave her sav-a-chick. She drank right away and within 2 hours was standing on her own and looking good. I put her back with the others as I do not have another heat source for her. She was eating and drinking with the other chicks, but is now just standing there with her feathers all fluffed out. She isn't completely listless, but the others are definitely moving a lot more than she is. I'm wondering if she is just dehydrated. I switched to a nipple waterer and thought they had all figured out how to use it, maybe she didn't. I have the nipple waterer along with a regular waterer with sav-a-chick in there. Hoping she improves!!!

Greenwood here, just started my coop build early this week and looking forward rasing some chicks for fresh eggs!!
I'm very excited about this!!!

Placing this here instead of classifieds:

Looking for COTTON PATCH GOOSE hatching eggs, goslings, or adults. Please PM me if you, or you know of anyone who has any.

Last edited:
Busy busy around here!
Of course Baseball has started, 3 different teams! Sigh

Hatched 4 quail Tuesday, lost one this morning, they are so tiny but the one that passed I didn't even notice it only had 1 eye!?! The other eye was just a dark spot, not an actual eye. Anyway so now there are only 3. I haven't had time to research when or how to sex them so !?!

Easter chicks have started hatching. I had no early pips, was worried none were even going to make it but DD is today, and so far have 4 external pips with one already zipping when we left at 9 am.

I have roughly 30 in lockdown. All different breeds. I went variety for fun this year.
Some I'd not ever heard of or seen before that moment of bidding. Seller I've bought from before so figured why not plus had a few I'd like to add. I love participating in the annual BYC Easter Hatch Along.

Also received 16 eggs yesterday for a new bloodline of calico/Mille Fleur bantam Cochin and they were in excellent shape so I'm super pumped about that!!!!!

I'll post pics when I can.

I have a brooder full already and finally some turkey eggs developing!
Got 2 new tractors put in yesterday and not sure if I want more or just build stationary pens.
I'm torn!!

Oh and finally got this darned huge uprooted tree from last spring completely removed Thursday!! Such a relief! The root ball still remains but not a lot I can do but burn it!

Busy busy around here!
Of course Baseball has started, 3 different teams! Sigh

Hatched 4 quail Tuesday, lost one this morning, they are so tiny but the one that passed I didn't even notice it only had 1 eye!?! The other eye was just a dark spot, not an actual eye. Anyway so now there are only 3. I haven't had time to research when or how to sex them so !?!
Yes that does sound rather busy. Congrats on all the chicks, the tree, & have fun with baseball.
If brown coturnix, the males will get a few tiny reddish feather sprouts around 12-14 days old (hard to notice unless you know what to look for) but by 3 weeks you'll see that the males have more solid salmon chests while the females' chests stay speckled.
2 weeks old. Male in center

3 weeks old, male on left

If you have the A&M, you'll have to wait until they 6 wks old or so.

Back
Top Bottom