INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Looks nice. However, I agree the shed in the background would make an awesome coop! Then you could fill it with even more chickens and keep the current little coop as a broody hen nursery! Do you think your DH would go for it!?! ;)
Haha. No. I have requested it, but he says that we need it for storage. I think the other building can be used for that. It would need some upgrades to be predator proof. It might be easier to buy another shed than to convince him to let me have it. ;)

Haha. No. I have requested it, but he says that we need it for storage. I think the other building can be used for that. It would need some upgrades to be predator proof. It might be easier to buy another shed than to convince him to let me have it. ;)
If you're handy, you can watch Craigslist for free or very cheap sheds. In fact our neighbor just gave away theirs. They would have to pay to have it removed, so they gave it away. Some young men in a pick-up disassembled and took it away in a few trips. (At the time I was kicking myself thinking, "Why didn't I know about this?!" LOL)
Of course, DH is not handy with tools. If it's not a computer, he can't fix it. I must pay our handyman to repair the big stuff and I attempt the small repairs myself.

This year I will be hatching:

Black, Lavender, Chocolate, Cuckoo, Lavender cuckoo and choc cuckoo orpingtons (wow that sounds like a lot!)

Mille fluere/Calico and Buff bantam Cochins (should have some frizzled too!)

White and partridge silkies and showgirl.

I've been working VERY hard on just keeping the best birds to put in my breeder flocks. I have been selling a few chicks here and there the last few years but this year I should have lots of extras to find new homes. I have began building a homemade cabinet incubator that will hold more eggs than my current coolerbator setup. The coolerbator I used last year will become hatchers now.

If you're handy, you can watch Craigslist for free or very cheap sheds. In fact our neighbor just gave away theirs. They would have to pay to have it removed, so they gave it away. Some young men in a pick-up disassembled and took it away in a few trips. (At the time I was kicking myself thinking, "Why didn't I know about this?!" LOL)
Of course, DH is not handy with tools. If it's not a computer, he can't fix it. I must pay our handyman to repair the big stuff and I attempt the small repairs myself.
I can rarely find anything good on craigslist. If I find something decent, they seem to want too much. My husband is a techy too. But, he has got some other skills, he just doesn't have the time. Nor does he have the want to do so. Sigh.

I was wondering if we still had any active local breeders in or near Indy? I want to add 3 chicks to my flock and I'd rather support heritage breeds then hatchery. However where I live I'm only allowed hens no roosters so buying straight run is tricky. I'm hoping if I get any roosters one of you lovely people on here would be willing to rehome them :)

I just bought a 8ft wide by 16ft long by 8ft tall POD storage container to use as a shed / coop! Works great and only cost $300! You should try to see if you can find some!
I can rarely find anything good on craigslist. If I find something decent, they seem to want too much. My husband is a techy too. But, he has got some other skills, he just doesn't have the time. Nor does he have the want to do so. Sigh.

I just bought a 8ft wide by 16ft long by 8ft tall POD storage container to use as a shed / coop! Works great and only cost $300! You should try to see if you can find some!
Yeah. I looked when I saw what you got. Nada. My area sucks. :th

This year I will be hatching:

Black, Lavender, Chocolate, Cuckoo, Lavender cuckoo and choc cuckoo orpingtons (wow that sounds like a lot!)

Mille fluere/Calico and Buff bantam Cochins (should have some frizzled too!)

White and partridge silkies and showgirl.

I've been working VERY hard on just keeping the best birds to put in my breeder flocks. I have been selling a few chicks here and there the last few years but this year I should have lots of extras to find new homes. I have began building a homemade cabinet incubator that will hold more eggs than my current coolerbator setup. The coolerbator I used last year will become hatchers now.
Boy do I wish we lived closer! Our family is still crying over the loss of our beloved silkie, Gilfie, who was taken by a hawk in Dec.

So, I find a listing for a shed and deck for $200. I ask about it and ask for a pic, the shed is plastic and is about 4' high and maybe 6' wide (their description, but they said 6x4). The "deck" is a pallet. :lau
The shed could be worth $100, but it also looks crumpled- like they had something heavy sitting on top of it. :hmm

My winter hatch will turn 8 weeks old on Wed.
chicks 3.jpg

chicks 1.jpg

* BTW- They may be big, but they still sleep with their mommy.

Back
Top Bottom