INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Had a scare Friday, and just a very sad day period.. Anyone that knows us personally also knows my hubby and I are very close. He is not just my husband, he's my best friend too. Called me from work late Friday afternoon. Severe pain in his left arm and tingling, pain from his neck on left side. Told him to call for an ambulance! This man works a lot of overtime and will not call off work period. He finished his shift, ugh stubborn man.
My youngest DD was coming home from Carmel and grabbed him up, took him to the Community Heart & Vascular. Her first question was where do I take him? I've had 3 family members treated there and is hands down our choice with a suspected heart attack or stoke. My Nephew picked me up, we beelined to the hospital.
Thankfully not a stroke or heart attack! He's got a band of nerves pinched in his neck, and a high fever. He is home but still in a lot of pain. He has to see his VA Dr. ASAP to follow up. He is a big guy, so my fear was a stroke or heart attack. I'm watching for any other issues. I demanded he rest and relax this weekend, see what VA finds Monday or as soon as they can get him in.
When I got home, and got him settled in bed, I ran out to check on my 2nd Doe Coco overdue to kid. She did, had given birth to a doeling. It didn't survive. I wasn't here so no idea if it was stillborn or died after birth. Very tiny little doeling. Her little body was still slightly warm. :hitThis is the one part of homesteading I hate most. We have lost a couple goats over the past 8 years, this is the first baby death from my own herd.
Hoping & praying all works out for your DH.
Sorry about your doeling.

Had a scare Friday, and just a very sad day period.. Anyone that knows us personally also knows my hubby and I are very close. He is not just my husband, he's my best friend too. Called me from work late Friday afternoon. Severe pain in his left arm and tingling, pain from his neck on left side. Told him to call for an ambulance! This man works a lot of overtime and will not call off work period. He finished his shift, ugh stubborn man.
My youngest DD was coming home from Carmel and grabbed him up, took him to the Community Heart & Vascular. Her first question was where do I take him? I've had 3 family members treated there and is hands down our choice with a suspected heart attack or stoke. My Nephew picked me up, we beelined to the hospital.
Thankfully not a stroke or heart attack! He's got a band of nerves pinched in his neck, and a high fever. He is home but still in a lot of pain. He has to see his VA Dr. ASAP to follow up. He is a big guy, so my fear was a stroke or heart attack. I'm watching for any other issues. I demanded he rest and relax this weekend, see what VA finds Monday or as soon as they can get him in.
When I got home, and got him settled in bed, I ran out to check on my 2nd Doe Coco overdue to kid. She did, had given birth to a doeling. It didn't survive. I wasn't here so no idea if it was stillborn or died after birth. Very tiny little doeling. Her little body was still slightly warm. :hitThis is the one part of homesteading I hate most. We have lost a couple goats over the past 8 years, this is the first baby death from my own herd.

Glad the news wasn't worse for your husband. Hopefully some rest will help him get feeling better. Sorry about your baby goat. That's rough. Hope you have much better days ahead!

So here's the latest results of this weekend's hatch. (Although it's possible more can hatch, I have a feeling this is all.)
My happy broody adopted the 5 chicks
broody-jpg.1705249

2 silkie x serama mixes

2 lav orps

1 serama

The serama took it's time & wore a shell hat for a while.
IMG_5620.JPG

Last edited:
Just had a lady interested in my duck pen come to my house. Before she did, she agreed on my price of $500 for the 8ft x 24ft animal pen with waterers, feeders, extra wire mesh and some small poultry cages. She gets here with a truck load of people but only her and her friend walk to check out my pen.
The first thing they do is start saying "It's not Green Treated". The 2x4s I bought from Home Depot are Pressure Treated. They started saying it's not the same as green treated. That treasure treated is just "Normal" wood that rots fast? The tried asking $300 then $350, then $400 and said thats their highest. My husband told me no lower then $500.
The lady then proceeded to say:
"I did a price check on all the wood and wire mesh for the same measurements you have it listed as and the price came out to around $600 with Green Treated wood. I can't spend more then $400 on something that will rot in a couple months"
Me thinking -Treated wood doesn't rot in a couple months?? I nicely told them sorry no lower then $500. That I put a lot of work into building this pen, all the money for the wood was around $500, plus all the waterers, feeders, extra wire mesh, green netting for the roof, the zipties for the green netting, all the staples used, the screws, and the power tools to build it? These people were very rude to agree on a price then try to talk me down and talk to me as if I'm stupid because I'm young (22). I really hate Craigslist.
All in all they wasted their own time driving 1 hour 30 minutes in a dually truck with long bed car trailer.

@jchny2000
Hugs and prayers.
Hoping & praying all works out for your DH.
Sorry about your doeling.
Glad the news wasn't worse for your husband. Hopefully some rest will help him get feeling better. Sorry about your baby goat. That's rough. Hope you have much better days ahead!
THANK YOU all. DH is a little better tonight but still has a fever. Hope VA gets him in tomorrow. Coco the orphaned mom seems ok, still looking for her baby. I've milked her fully out Last 2 days and froze her milk since I should have more kids coming. Since I can't kidshare, I'm going to be milking 2x a day to improve her milk production.
Just had a lady interested in my duck pen come to my house. Before she did, she agreed on my price of $500 for the 8ft x 24ft animal pen with waterers, feeders, extra wire mesh and some small poultry cages. She gets here with a truck load of people but only her and her friend walk to check out my pen.
The first thing they do is start saying "It's not Green Treated". The 2x4s I bought from Home Depot are Pressure Treated. They started saying it's not the same as green treated. That treasure treated is just "Normal" wood that rots fast? The tried asking $300 then $350, then $400 and said thats their highest. My husband told me no lower then $500.
"I did a price check on all the wood and wire mesh for the same measurements you have it listed as and the price came out to around $600 with Green Treated wood. I can't spend more then $400 on something that will rot in a couple months"
Me thinking -Treated wood doesn't rot in a couple months?? I nicely told them sorry no lower then $500. That I put a lot of work into building this pen, all the money for the wood was around $500, plus all the waterers, feeders, extra wire mesh, green netting for the roof, the zipties for the green netting, all the staples used, the screws, and the power tools to build it? These people were very rude to agree on a price then try to talk me down and talk to me as if I'm stupid because I'm young (22). I really hate Craigslist.
All in all they wasted their own time driving 1 hour 30 minutes in a dually truck with long bed car trailer.
AGREED!! :mad: Don't forget your labor too! Your time is valuable wether you are 20 or 50! I've literally had to tell a few people they needed to leave. There are a few folks out there that will take advantage of others.:smackGood for you standing strong and being smart and not letting them take advantage of you.

Yes, this is very common in CL. I found if your price is fair, you'll get a decent buyer. I had a similar thing happen. I went down $10 (from $150). They then found more things "wrong"... and wanted to buy it for $90. I stood my ground (Item would coast $300 new) & they left. 10 min later they called back & bought it for $140.

Of course we got 3 more people interested in the item that same night.:he

Thankfully, most chicken people we've met have been awesome. Often they come back as repeat customers &/or bring their friends. :) Just be patient.

Sooooo, guys I did it. After having these Copper Maran chicks again I miss keeping them as a permanent flock. Forgot how social they are and so robust. I have one little girl jumping out of the brooder as soon as she sees me open it. Already adore her! She really likes a cuddle and a chip chip chat. There is a big rooster from my friend @Tabi, first hatch that's very social too. The sweet little pullet I've named Tabi already. Hey lady that's for you :hugs!

I found a fella in KY several years ago that my first Copper Maran and my Blue Maran came from, David Prather. He mostly sells hatching eggs on eBay, David is NPIP. I've had a few shipments from him, one was 100% hatch! That's the breeder I don't forget. I looked him up from my favorite sellers list, there they were for bid. :yesss: I missed the first auction but got the next one! David emailed and said eggs will arrive by Thursday. I'm not going to keep hundreds of birds again like we did 5 years ago, LOL! I am going to replace the breeds I enjoyed most.

they are just a different breed of bullies or else it's that someone had buyers remorse one or the other, it might be the man didn't want the woman to buy it or spend that much kind of remorse.

Sooooo, guys I did it. After having these Copper Maran chicks again I miss keeping them as a permanent flock. Forgot how social they are and so robust. I have one little girl jumping out of the brooder as soon as she sees me open it. Already adore her! She really likes a cuddle and a chip chip chat. There is a big rooster from my friend @Tabi, first hatch that's very social too. The sweet little pullet I've named Tabi already. Hey lady that's for you :hugs!

I found a fella in KY several years ago that my first Copper Maran and my Blue Maran came from, David Prather. He mostly sells hatching eggs on eBay, David is NPIP. I've had a few shipments from him, one was 100% hatch! That's the breeder I don't forget. I looked him up from my favorite sellers list, there they were for bid. :yesss: I missed the first auction but got the next one! David emailed and said eggs will arrive by Thursday. I'm not going to keep hundreds of birds again like we did 5 years ago, LOL! I am going to replace the breeds I enjoyed most.
I never had marrans, but love the color of the egg, I had someone that breed them at one point tell me when he had them as a teen, he learned that the birds actually "coat" the egg that color unlike all other chickens, he found one that was wet and the straw in the nesting box stuck on a couple of eggs and when he pealed off the straw he was shocked to see it was white underneath and he asked an "old timer" who got him started in the breed that yes they are white as they are going thru the "pipes" and get colored on the way out and if he had to put down a bird or wanted to butcher an old hen and found an egg that hadn't come out yet and he cut it out it could be white if caught before it got it's "paint job"

Hope your husband gets better soon. Sad about the doeling.

Back
Top Bottom