INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey, everyone! Been a while since I checked in, My chick that hatched a couple months back is doing great! Posting a video which includes (hopefully a) her.

Unfortunately, the main reason I'm posting my video is that my roo is in a very bad place. Could be Marek's, but after all the reading I've done on it, it seems like it could be anything, really. He's lethargic, has no balance, and keeps pressing his tail feathers down. Not sure if he's trying to balance himself or what there. He falls over, doesn't like walking over things, and is a mess in general, really.
So sorry to see your poor unsteady roo. I wish I knew more & could help.

My April Fool's prank is coming along nicely.....

My little broody serama hen sat on 2 eggs and already has 7 orpington chicks. They're the XL orps from imported English bloodlines, and they'll grow larger than her in about 3 weeks.
:lau

IMG_2759 (2).JPG

IMG_2762 (2).JPG

IMG_2765 (2).JPG

Surprisingly all 7 are under her. I'll be adding a mama heating pad for the overflow chicks. (More will likely hatch)

IMG_2779.JPG

I would love to hatch something in the incubator, but have too many birds now. Besides letting my goose hatch a few muscovies nobody else will be allowed to hatch this year. I have quite a few regular broodies.

If anyone would like some laying hens (not free) pm me.

I've been away a bit with FIL health issues, appears he's beat cancer again! Most recent blood work shows He's OK! With this Covid-19 threat, I will not be hosting any processing or meetups until this passes. DH and I are mid 50's and my Dads 86. My oldest DD works in OH at a nursing home. 2 confirmed cases 11 deaths not tested. She's told me she's afraid to come home until she's tested.
Not really much going on here. We've reduced our flocks and herds to make things a little more manageable. After our Governors announcement Monday we won't be camping anytime soon. Campground owner informed us it's closed until further notice. All state parks and private are closed until at least April 18th.
I do intend to test hatch my chicken flocks starting this weekend. I still keep Barred Rock, Black Copper Maran and Lavender Ameruacana. I've got a few broody Muscovy one in particular I know will brood a hatch.
I have 1 Hereford heifer we will need to sell unless I can manage a breeding outside our herd. It's usually not a good idea to breed back to the bull that's sired her. I do have a neighbor with an unrelated bull and that's an option we are considering. He keeps Angus which makes an excellent cross, called a "Baldie". Our bull has very good genetics, my concern is huge calves and difficult calving. It's sad his temperament is amazing and very gentle. I have no concern for my big girls, but my 2 heifers need a smaller bull 1st round. Molly is not related but she's way too small for my big guy Nero.

Hey, everyone! Been a while since I checked in, My chick that hatched a couple months back is doing great! Posting a video which includes (hopefully a) her.

Unfortunately, the main reason I'm posting my video is that my roo is in a very bad place. Could be Marek's, but after all the reading I've done on it, it seems like it could be anything, really. He's lethargic, has no balance, and keeps pressing his tail feathers down. Not sure if he's trying to balance himself or what there. He falls over, doesn't like walking over things, and is a mess in general, really.

If you have any ideas, let me know. Today I got him out of the coop, because it's been a couple days since he's come out on his own.

Here's the video:

It looks like Marek's. But there's quite a few things it could be . How old is he? Do you have a closed flock? Is he losing weight? How long has he been like this? Was he added? Does it looks like it's getting worse? I would start with a multi B vitamin. It could also be a neuro problem or even brain damage. Are there any other birds that act like this?

It looks like Marek's. But there's quite a few things it could be . How old is he? Do you have a closed flock? Is he losing weight? How long has he been like this? Was he added? Does it looks like it's getting worse? I would start with a multi B vitamin. It could also be a neuro problem or even brain damage. Are there any other birds that act like this?
Excellent questions! @man_of_fishers Does he have access to any ornamental plants that could be toxic? Any feed changes. Fecal or regular worming routine to rule out parasites? His comb and waddles have good color and overall condition looks good also.

Hope everyone fared well from the severe storms earlier tonight. We went out around 9 hearing a loud crash, found our feedlot pasture and the main hard fenced pasture has a building severely damaged from part of a fallen tree. Also took a portion of fence. Fortunately all poultry and livestock are ok and safely away from the tree.
I call that tree "Big Ugly" have tried several times to get it taken down. Huge monster cottonwood. There are 2 branches left the size of a mature tree themselves! So tomorrow I will make calls again trying to get it taken out.

Hey guys! Not sure if this is the best place to post this, (so many threads on here lol) but I'm looking for a heritage breed turkey hen for my lonely tom. I'm in southern Indiana if anyone has an extra gal they part with for a reasonable price please hit me up. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom