Indispensable Features?

Thanks All. Lots of great ideas in here. I think my henhouse is just fine the way it is but need to improve the run area. What do most of you use to cover the run? My run area is about 60' x 100'. Is there an effective and affordable alternative to bird netting? And maybe something that can at least keep part of the run dry?
To cover part of our run I used roofing tin, we put it on with a slope to allow for run off. The rest of the run cover is hardware cloth wire. I had some bird netting on this summer, but the sun made it brittle and it broke and fell apart very easily letting all the little sparrows in, I figure it wasn't in any way a deterrent for predetors. When we first built the run, I had chicken wire and fencing (believe it or not) for a run covering. I was feeding sparrows, doves, and pigeons along with my chickens...not so great.

This quote from :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/716775/accessories-needed-for-new-flock-owners#post_9826598

We are moving the new chicken coop this week! I've been reading (literally tens and tens) of websites/blogs and have all sorts of ideas.

Coop design/function:
I'd love to have an automatic feeder and waterer .. and a gutter downspout diverter for rainwater.
Roosting rails: pine or tree limbs, size? I read that having larger boards can help with the flock resting on their feet - preventing frostbite/cold
cameras (with night vision), connect to cell phones for viewing at any time
thermometer (with reflective stripping for the camera)

Toys for the flock:
balls?
feeding/treat balls?

Decor':
I know this sounds pretentious .. but I love the look of a chandelier ... is it honestly too dusty for this?
Is it worth it to paint the inside?

I have loved all the great comments. I chuckle when I read the two extremes that ussually happen at your house; I can relate. My husband & contractor get together & decide what I need and then they totally over build it, of course, they have forgotten to take into consideration of what I have requested. My rule is to let them build whatever & then I remodel later. I have an 8' x 10' shed that was converted; 8' x 7' for the chickens and 8' x 3' for me. I have since divided my space in half, 4' x 3' storage and 4' x 3' as a small temp coop or brooder. I have several outlets (out of the way of the chickens) that I find I use and I did paint the floor of the shed so clean up is easy & the smell doesn't permiate the wood. But the one thing that has been a blessing is the radio. You see, I live in the country and my girls get to free range during the day. Early on I lost a couple to fox and even to a racoon, but once I read about turning on a raadio to a talk station, I haven't lost a single bird. My roos are getting a little lazy I think between the radio & my dogs (I have Aussies that go down regularly to check on the livestock (& bark at any large bird flying overhead).

The radio is an incredibly novel idea that I have not come across anywhere else thus far. Thank you so much for sharing it. I may try this on my mother's pond as well. During the drought last year, the blue herons were awfully bold in snatching her koi...DESPITE my faux heron scarecrow.

As to the construction grappling...the inability to communicate effectively on our plans has made me heavily dependent on illustrations. If I blog/post about the construction of the coop, I will include the ridiculous blueprints that I used to translate my thoughts into language the significant other understands
roll.png

Thanks All. Lots of great ideas in here. I think my henhouse is just fine the way it is but need to improve the run area. What do most of you use to cover the run? My run area is about 60' x 100'. Is there an effective and affordable alternative to bird netting? And maybe something that can at least keep part of the run dry?

A cost effective option would be old billboard covers. I use them all the time in lieu of tarps.

Sign companies print the advertisements on weatherproof material and change them out every month or so. I can usually buy the removed material off of the guys that take them down for a couple of bucks each. Some are more heavyweight material than others. The most commons size is 12' x 24', with the range occurring from 10' x 30' to 20' x 60'.

This is an inexpensive, eco-friendly option if you can live with your run being cloaked in bright colors promoting a beverage or bank.

A cost effective option would be old billboard covers. I use them all the time in lieu of tarps.

Great idea, I never thought about what the signs were made of nor if there was any use for them when taken down (or when they are up ;) ) other than as landfill filler. Perhaps more of them will see a useful "second life" if enough people spread the word.

Some intelligent people made it illegal to put up billboards in Vermont some decades back so no supply of cheap run coverings here. Being used to no huge signs, it is pretty startling when we drive into NY and WHAM, bill board heaven (or hell, depending on one's point of view).

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom