Indoor Bantam Serama not eating/balance issues

Axesort

Hatching
Apr 25, 2022
Hello everyone,
I have 4 indoor bantam seramas 2 roosters 2 hens that live in separate dwellings and live the spoiled life. My oldest rooster is about 5 years and from a different farm than my other 3 but they've all been living in the same room for 6 months. He has been sick for about 2 weeks or more but i hadn'tnoticedanything out of the ordinary until he stopped eating one night. He has rapidly been losing weight even after hand feeding him. I remember he started losing his coordination when going for treats just missing the mark. I didn't really think much of it at first, then I noticed he wasn't eating as much so I started feeding him mash here and there, but when he didn't jump up the other day I took him out and he was having a little balance issue. I took him to the vet and they examined him low liver enzymes and elevated white blood cells (bacteria) they prescribed an antibiotic, doxycycline which he has been on for almost 10 days. He had an xray but the only thing that came back was a little extra tissue on the liver. We have had him on Recover for a week and that didn't help poo was liquid and really dark. We switched back to normal food and hus Poo is all normal after switching back from the recover. He had a shot of vitamin B1 (thiamine) which may have perked him up (or the stimulus of the vet office and shot) his noise has been a little stuffed and he has just started breathing through his mouth. He has been so tired His eyes are very heavy. Please, if anyone has any information I can use or has had a similar issue and had a necropsy done, I would be so greatful. My heart is really heavy.

How long have you had him?

I'm sorry he's not well, do you have photos of him and his poop?
What do you feed, including treats?

Balance issues can be from number of things. I'd work on getting vitamins into, give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.
See that he's eating his normal feed.

Is his crop emptying overnight?
Did the vet do a fecal float to see if worms may be a problem?
Any signs of lice or mites?

So sorry that your little man is sick. I do not have any advise but I am sending positive thoughts with a fast recovery your way!

How long have you had him?

I'm sorry he's not well, do you have photos of him and his poop?
What do you feed, including treats?

Balance issues can be from number of things. I'd work on getting vitamins into, give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.
See that he's eating his normal feed.

Is his crop emptying overnight?
Did the vet do a fecal float to see if worms may be a problem?
Any signs of lice or mites?
hatched him 4 years 2m years ago. No lice, no mites. They did a fecal test, no worms. He is being fed a recovery formula (Harrison recovery) from the vet, poultry cell and regular food. He is constantly losing weight even through we are feeding him every 3 hrs. No swelling that you can see. Sinus are congested with minimal clear discharge he is mouth breathing the x-rays don't show any congestion in the lungs. His comb is still red.

Attachments

• 20230122_124054.jpg
    20230122_124054.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230122_235251.jpg
    20230122_235251.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom