indoor "house chicken" question

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i'm thinking of keeping a showgirl and a silkie as house chickens. i'm hatching out my own eggs and i'd like to choose 2 out of the ones i hatch as pets without concern as to whether they're roos or pullets. BUT, i'm mostly worried that BOTH will be roos! i don't think that would work out too well, do u? i would prefer 2 pullets....but if one was a roo, i'd be ok with that. but could 2 roos get along? FYI, i'll have 4 standard hens outside as well.

Years ago, we had 2 roos we got as chicks, and they lived together happily. I thought the reason they never fought was because they were seperated from(and couldn't see) the girls.
But then, after moving and getting in to chickens again, we ended up with 4 roos, and while we were deciding which one to keep, they lived together, with the girls. They were fine together, until it came down to the last 2-- the little one got a little cocky ( no pun intended), and we did have to seperate them.
I think as long as they are both house chickens, and are away from the girls, they won't have anything to fight over. One thing to remember is.. if it does end up being 2 boys, one or both of them may crow. I had a rooster in the laundry room recovering from injury, and the crowing at 6am was not as cute sounding as it normally is.

I had a rooster in the laundry room recovering from injury, and the crowing at 6am was not as cute sounding as it normally is
D.gif
:cd:cd

I have one right now that crows at 3 am,
smack.gif
lol The one I have in the house is a banty he is the daddy of the 4 roos outside, his sons get along great but they don't like their daddy, so he is in the house with us. Right now I also have a silkie roo, but he is only 5-6 months, not crowing that good yet! lol he tries though! lol I haven't put them together to see what will happen so I can't answer if they would get along or not. But I would say if they are together there is a good chance things will be fine. Like the other post said, you put hens in that is when they change.
somad.gif

thanks guys....i'm just gonna keep 2 chicks and it will be interesting to see how it turns out! either combination i'm fine with. thanks again
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom