Indroducing chicks to the outside

QueenBean

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
Hi all! So I'm hoping you gain some knowledge from those of you who have been doing this a lot longer than me. I have two 3 week old chicks who have been inside with a 5 or 6 week old chick. The older chick has been mothering then and they sleep under her. During the day we have our coop decided in two so two adult hens on one side and the chicks on the other. Then at night we bring the chicks in. I'm hoping to move the chicks outside at night soon. It gets to about 70 at night right now and in the 80s and 90s during the day. The chicks seem totally comfortable outside during the day right now. Wondering if you all think I still need a heat source outside for them at night right now since they cuddle up with the older chick? I have a heat mat I could make a broader box with but not sure they even need it. Would love thoughts. Thanks!

I say it should be perfectly fine outside. my ducklings were 3 weeks old and sleeping outside at 65° and they didn’t have a mom to sleep under of. My other ducks when they were younger just staring to get their feathers slept outside one night at 55°. they are all really healthy so don’t worry about your chicks being cold!

While I don't believe chicks are as fragile as many people do, ducklings are more precocial than chicken chicks. That means they can wean off of heat much sooner than chicks.

I say it should be perfectly fine outside. my ducklings were 3 weeks old and sleeping outside at 65° and they didn’t have a mom to sleep under of. My other ducks when they were younger just staring to get their feathers slept outside one night at 55°. they are all really healthy so don’t worry about your chicks being cold!
Okay, awesome. Thats what Ive been leaning towards. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom