Inept Roo?

Okay, a bit of an update.

I cracked a few more eggs from the pen he is in open and to my dismay, none were fertile.
barnie.gif

Not so with the other roos with their hens.

His "technique" is to jump on the hen's back and (how to phrase this?
lau.gif
) try to do the deed on their backs and not their vents.

I suspect the fact he was low roo on the totem pole for a year might have to do with his lack of practice. He is now top roo in this pen. He may be having problems with the hens' tails (not kidding!). The girls were literally run ragged by the last roo before he went to freezer camp.

Even with these oddities, I noticed that one of the chicks from the RIR hens is half EE (he's my only EE roo). So, I know he can produce. The EE girls are being difficult.

He has plenty of light. I keep the light on 24/7 so he's good. Not fat at all. Just dreadfully inept.

I may have to bring in my EE mix cockerel who is drop-dead gorgeous but still not ready for prime time.
idunno.gif

Suggestions?

I have the same problem, only I KNOW why....mine is a D'Uccle and most of his ladies are laying breeds. I saw him "do it". To my Austrolorpe's back for about 30 seconds today. He just CAN'T cover her AND hold her still at the same time....but B oy! Does he try! Im hoping his son, who is half EE, will get bigger and help with the bigger girls....

I've got several banties, and silkies....and he does ok with the EEs.....just not the Austrolorpe, Orpington, Wyandottes, and ESPECIALLY not the 10 pound Brahma....he doesn't even TRY with her!

Quote:
That is precisely what's going on with my cockerel and biggest hen. She won't stick her tail up right half the time and the other half of the time I guess he's just lazy. But lately I've seen fewer white stains on her back so I guess they're both learning.
lau.gif

Oh, Edited to add: She's not bigger than him, just a lot bigger than the ones he was covering before. Lazy guy!
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom