...inevitable as: Death, Taxes, Bumblefoot?

Northern Flights

Songster
May 6, 2018
Cariboo Country BC
One of our hens appears to have torn a claw enough to cause rather heavy bleeding, which after a good night on the roost seems to have stemmed the red tide and it seems her morale is still very good. However my intention is to head off any possibility of bumblefoot asap and would like to discuss my planned treatment protocol with the denizens of this fine feathered forum, if I may?

I already have on hand two fairly robust antibacterial/anti-fungal preparations, the first called "Iodine Spray" by Dominion Veterinary Labs — a quite effective iodine based anti-fungal solution with decent antiseptic properties and, the second "Soluprep" by 3M, which is a 2% chlorhexidine antibacterial solution that contains a fixing agent and is used to prep human(ish) and critter skin for surgical procedures. The Iodine Spray alone may likely be sufficient to contain any outbreaks of bumblefoot, but I reckon the Soluprep would have longer term antiseptic capability.

Kinda like first air-dropping in a platoon of marines to clear the area, then leaving behind a squad of army grunts to prevent any local enemy insurgents regaining a toe-hold. I reckon the two things (sort of) already in our favour are that the coop/run/free range areas are cleaned daily and pretty much free of dung, plus the ground here is quite frozen and the flora of fungus/bacteria are mostly dormant.

But what say ye? Has anybody had issue using either iodine or chlorhexidine?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for not responding sooner. I had been waiting for an email notification but had neglected to actually follow the thread! My concoction appears to have worked, at least my feathered masters have not developed any complications due to the many abrasions on their feet.

Might be luck, might be aliens, but I will continue to believe my elixir proved useful. I am impressed with the Soluprep as it stuck around for at least 3 days and negated the need to reapply. There seems no need to wash it off later either, for unlike dogs/cats/mothers-in-law, chickens rarely lick their tootsies and the stuff simply wore off from stampeding about the range.

edit: I should note that I diluted the Iodine Spray, about 20 to 1, much the same as when we use it on the dog for ear problems. A "strong tea" iodine wash, followed by an even and light spray of Soluprep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom