Inexpensive duck coop ideas?

Sorry I forgot to get pictures of the last few steps where we close up the sides. But what we did is we measured how wide the sides were, and since the tractor and wire were only 4 feet tall it was perfect. Place the wire on the ends and attach it with zipties. Make sure to leave one end open for the door. So our plan for the door is to arch the pvc, screw it to wood so it holds its shape, and the attach wire to it. ZIptie one end to a piece of pvc on the open end of the tractor so it will swing open and closed, but be sure to put the door on the outside. Then you can close it with a chain, a latch. Then you're done! Unless you want to add the wheels. Hopefully I explained this in enough detail and hopefully the pics helped. Then you can cut off the ends of the zipties and that should do it! You can also add a tarp to one end so they have it half sunny and half shady. We are going to add nest boxes and roosts in the future. And we plan to use the extra wire to start building a fence that can go around the kiddie pool.

It looks great nice job.

Can I say though that poultry fencing will not keep out predators it is made to keep our birds in but not predators out and a raccoon can stick his arm through and grab a duck/chicken etc and try and pull it through or just eat what he can through the fencing or just rip the wire and help himself that way. Best to use hardware cloth half inch over all your chicken wire. then they will safe and this includes the bottom too to keep out diggers. Other preds like foxes, weasels and minks, coyotes Would love to have tasty duck also. Even bears. It looks great though just needs shoring up to be predator safe.

It looks great nice job.

Can I say though that poultry fencing will not keep out predators it is made to keep our birds in but not predators out and a raccoon can stick his arm through and grab a duck/chicken etc and try and pull it through or just eat what he can through the fencing or just rip the wire and help himself that way. Best to use hardware cloth half inch over all your chicken wire. then they will safe and this includes the bottom too to keep out diggers. Other preds like foxes, weasels and minks, coyotes Would love to have tasty duck also. Even bears. It looks great though just needs shoring up to be predator safe.
Wow ok I didn't know that! Thanks for the tips. I am going to use the extra wire to add a skirting around the bottom to prevent diggers. We move it onto the front porch at night so we can keep a close eye on them, and we have a dog that sleeps right across from them, and she will bark at anything. I will try to keep reinforcing it because it would be so devastating if we lost one of them, they all have names already lol. So I want to do everything I can do to ensure that they will be safe at all times. Thanks for the tips! This was our first chicken/duck project. P.s- since we are in the country we plan to get a pellet gun just to scare off any predators that show up while we are there. Thanks again!

20170807_171449.jpg
You sound very responsible that is good to keep our flocks safe. We can never let our guard down.

Now all we need is some pics of your lil flock :)
Yup, I've lost a roo to am unknown predator before, that was not the best time for us. I do not want that to happen again!
20170816_075646.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg

I don't have pics of the ducklings yet, and I don't think i have a picture of all the chicks, but here are their names.
Chicks- Goldilocks, Gracie, Ginger, Olive, Pepper, Chippy, and Dale.
Ducklings- (we went with southern names )- Georgina, Minnie Pearl, Peggy Sue, Billie Jean, Maybel, and Stella Elle Isabella.

Back
Top Bottom