Inexpensive Yet Safe Run Ideas

$100-300 in a perfect world; as I said this won’t be their only run, just an additional one. The run we currently have is big enough for 8, I just want more room for the 14 total we have, while also being large enough for another 5 in the future.
~$300 is about what I spent on hardware cloth alone to cover my 10'x20' greenhouse frame. Of course, I wanted a Ft Knox secure open air covered run - because of the amount of predators in my area, they do not free range. So every inch of the frame is covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. The 3ft apron was an additional cost.

I'm thinking of putting together a tractor for them when I have time, so they can get some grass time when I'm working outside on the weekends.

$100-300 in a perfect world; as I said this won’t be their only run, just an additional one. The run we currently have is big enough for 8, I just want more room for the 14 total we have, while also being large enough for another 5 in the future.
That's gonna be tough unless you can find a lot of stuff for free.
How big is the main run, in feet by feet?
Sounds like you may need this 'extra' run full time for your existing flock.

I hope your coop is large enough to accommodate ~20 birds.

Talk to friends and neighbors, see if they have anything you can use or repurpose. I got 2 green house metal pole frames from a neighbor who "just wanted that stuff out of here."

Pallets are also a good source of cheap/free wood, but be prepared to put the labor into dismantling them. Depending on the age of the pallet, some of the wood will have seen its best days and not be useable.

Talk to friends and neighbors, see if they have anything you can use or repurpose. I got 2 green house metal pole frames from a neighbor who "just wanted that stuff out of here."

Pallets are also a good source of cheap/free wood, but be prepared to put the labor into dismantling them. Depending on the age of the pallet, some of the wood will have seen its best days and not be useable.

....but...a pallet fence is super easy to put up, and just requirs t posts and screws. However, it would have to be covered in hardwire cloth (biggest expense) and then at least a net on top. The ones i get are 33'x33' and are $60 i love them!!!

That's gonna be tough unless you can find a lot of stuff for free.
How big is the main run, in feet by feet?
Sounds like you may need this 'extra' run full time for your existing flock.

I hope your coop is large enough to accommodate ~20 birds.
Existing is 12x10x10, for 5 hens and 2 pullets currently. They free range most of the late morning to early evening. They are in the run when the coop door opens at 6 am until we let them free range and then back in the run from 5/6 until they put themselves to sleep around 7-8. The only time they spent a substantial amount of time in the run was when it was snowy this past winter, and then, most of them even spent more time in the coop where it wasn’t blowing snow.
We will need the additional one full time as a second space they can go; the second run won’t replace the first, just will add space to accommodate 14.
Our coop can accommodate 30 in size but I don’t want more than 20, so coop is fine. They only lay and sleep in there and it’s too big (and a pain to clean).We converted a tractor shed into a coop and it’s more like a hen palace-
I have some rolls of hardware cloth, and some posts already. We have a ton of hardware available as my Dad saves everything and has said we may take what we can use. I can buy some items inexpensive at a recycling store (door, window, posts, plywood, roofing)… My Dad, in wanting to help, had suggested a hoop building but it’d be huge- and because of the winds we get in the Fall and Winter, I (maybe not logically) am worried about it not being secure enough in the ground. He also suggested finding dog kennel panels on Marketplace, but I’d have to cover the fence with hardware cloth.

Last edited:

We spent last Summer building our coop and tire pallets apart for wood for the inside- so I know the pain of ripping them apart and removing nails. Wasn’t so bad though that I’d rule out using them again.

Existing is 12x10x10, for 5 hens and 2 pullets currently. They free range most of the late morning to early evening. They are in the run when the coop door opens at 6 am until we let them free range and then back in the run from 5/6 until they put themselves to sleep around 7-8. The only time they spent a substantial amount of time in the run was when it was snowy this past winter, and then, most of them even spent more time in the coop where it wasn’t blowing snow.
We will need the additional one full time as a second space they can go; the second run won’t replace the first, just will add space to accommodate 14.
Our coop can accommodate 30 in size but I don’t want more than 20, so coop is fine. They only lay and sleep in there and it’s too big (and a pain to clean).We converted a tractor shed into a coop and it’s more like a hen palace-
I have some rolls of hardware cloth, and some posts already. We have a ton of hardware available as my Dad saves everything and has said we may take what we can use. I can buy some items inexpensive at a recycling store (door, window, posts, plywood, roofing)… My Dad, in wanting to help, had suggested a hoop building but it’d be huge- and because of the winds we get in the Fall and Winter, I (maybe not logically) am worried about it not being secure enough in the ground. He also suggested finding dog kennel panels on Marketplace, but I’d have to cover the fence with hardware cloth.
For securing to the ground consider screw anchor augers - there are many lengths of auger and most are rated for load.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harvest-30-in-l-earth-anchor-with-3-in-dia-auger

I had to use several pieces of rebar (tpost, Upost, or other fencing may also work) and a 10ft 2x4 brace in the middle across the base to keep my 10'x15' hoop coop from pushing the 2"x4" base out in the middle (the 15' stretch of wood was bowing in the middle).

And yes, if you get dog kennel panels, you'll have to cover them with hardware cloth to have a secure run. I did that for a Ft Knox secure open air covered coop/run, and it's worked great. But only because I got the dog run panels 1/2 price. Hoop coop or greenhouse frame would probably be cheaper full price.

My husband bought me a 20x10 greenhouse that has an excellent PVC frame, a few years ago. He bought it around July - when they go on sale and only paid $220 for it - regularly $500. I did not like maintaining a greenhouse, and I needed another run so I took the cover off and covered the entire top, sides with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and after fastening below, continued along the ground 2-feet for an apron. I was considering using clear polycarbonate panels on top (I saw this guy do it on Youtube and it looked nice, but, I didn't do the best job making sure the hardware cloth was not sticking up. It is very secure, but, where it needed to be cut - I didn't do a good job. So, I went with a solar resistant tarp, and because I wanted more rain protection, I put a canopy over it to extend 2 feet longer than the sides.

Back
Top Bottom