Infected chicken wattle

kerriholley

Chirping
7 Years
May 1, 2014
Hi. We have a girl with a very infected wattle. We have tried many things, lancing, wound spray… but nothing is working. Is it dangerous to apply a poultice? Specifically turmeric or flour? I don’t know how to add a picture….

Oh wow. I'm so sorry. I'll tag some folks that have posted about possible cancers before. I know that @azygous has had a bird that had a skin issue that wouldn't resolve no matter her treatments and it was a type of cancer. Her bird is still alive and getting to be what many consider geriatric so please don't let this be something to bring you down. How is the bird acting otherwise?

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous

I also remember reading a post by another one of our extremely knowledgeable members here on BYC's. They stated something about using flour on/in a wound and how it wasn't advised. I'm not sure if I can find that again to provide the source, so please keep that in mind. I'm anxious to see what the knowledgeable and experienced folks have to say. I'd definitely take their advice

She sure is a pretty little girl! How old is she?

When you lanced the wattle, what did you see? Was there any pus or just blood from the wound? That could possibly be an abscess or cyst, but a cancer is also possible. How long has it been there and how quickly has it grown?

I would have to think that is a tumor or cyst. There are many types of tumors in chickens, including the ones caused by Mareks or leukosis viruses. Since it grew very fast, I would lean more toward tumor. Unfortunately, about the best way to know what it is, is to get a necropsy by your state vet if she dies. They take tissue samples and do histology to help diagnose. In some states it can be easier and more inexpensive. You can call the state vet, and they can tell you how to bring in the body or can possibly send an overnight shipping label. Here is a link with most state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

When you lanced the wattle, what did you see? Was there any pus or just blood from the wound? That could possibly be an abscess or cyst, but a cancer is also possible. How long has it been there and how quickly has it grown?
Hi. Thank you for replying. She went “missing” for about 10 days. That was 30 days ago. Then came back with this wound. It grew pretty fast. Within 10 days after her being back, it was this big. Theee was only blood when I lanced it. But I will admit that I may not have gone deep enough.

I also remember reading a post by another one of our extremely knowledgeable members here on BYC's. They stated something about using flour on/in a wound and how it wasn't advised. I'm not sure if I can find that again to provide the source, so please keep that in mind. I'm anxious to see what the knowledgeable and experienced folks have to say. I'd definitely take their advice

She sure is a pretty little girl! How old is she?
She’s about a year and a half old. Thank you for replying. I’m seriously hoping we can use a poultice of some kind.

Oh wow. I'm so sorry. I'll tag some folks that have posted about possible cancers before. I know that @azygous has had a bird that had a skin issue that wouldn't resolve no matter her treatments and it was a type of cancer. Her bird is still alive and getting to be what many consider geriatric so please don't let this be something to bring you down. How is the bird acting otherwise?

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous
Thank you!!! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom