Infected eye... Again

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
Ok. This has been a super long ongoing process. My lavender Orpington pullet, developed a swollen eye (not hard) overnight about 2 1/2 - 3 months ago. We did research and decided it was probably MG. We gave her Tylan 50 via injectable for 5 days. The swelling went down as well as the redness. She was then acting lethargic. We wormed her and dusted her for mites. She is now less lethargic. BUT.... The swollen eye has returned! This time she has her eye open so I can see it better, and it's hard and chunky yellow goo. It's nasty. What should I do?

I haven't had swollen eyes in my chickens but I have helped one of my friends who had this issue with her own. Before you do this however, check to make sure there isn't a foreign object in the eye. What I had did was wash her hen's eye with a saline solution. (The chicken won't like it, I'll warn you of that.) Do you have Vetericyn gel? If so, put that around her eye and keep applying that until the swelling starts to go down as well as the infection. My Cornish X has sores on her feet and abdomen (from hiding from a hawk) and I use an antibacterial ointment but I wouldn't recommend that around a chicken's eye.

Thank you Rikki!

As an update: I was watching her walk around with that giant marble sized infection in there, when she scratched her eye- and boom! The infection popped right out! Her eye is now back to normal size, but it seems her eye came out with the infection. No more eye. I plan to rinse the eye with saline and put a bacterial prevention ointment in the eye so the infection won't come back. I'm hoping the issues are finally at rest.

Back
Top Bottom