Infected Foot/Ankle

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
11 month old White Legbar. A couple of months ago had an obvious bulge on side of foot (not touching the ground) and it was soft. No apparent point of infection - scales/skin were smooth. We kept an eye on it, and Legbar moved freely, without problem, eating/drinking/laying as usual.

Then she stated to limp. We found the bulge to be harder to the touch, but regular body temp. We decided to sanitize the area and open it up, get out any puss, etc. Turns out there was a lot of blood in there - hardly any puss. Betadine, sterile saline, sterile guaze, and antibiotic ointment were utilized. Put into isolation for a few days to make sure it would not bleed anymore and she could walk fine. Then back to flock for a week or two.

Then there was an obvious trail of blood! I followed it to find the Legbar - seemingly fine. Upright, looking around, and walking fine. But, the bulge had returned and either it got caught on something or another bird pecked it, not sure, but there was blood. Took her to isolation, cleaned wound, wrapped it. Tight enough that it was fully deflated and not oozing the next day. Another day of treatment and vet wrap on the foot. Decided to remove vet wrap as toes were looking a bit purple and puffy. Toes were warm, body temp, and she was able to move them and grasp with them. Since then we have kept the bird in isolation (she can hear the flock mates but cannot see them unless they perch on the railing outside the window). Now her foot/ankle looks worse. We can continue to open the wound and drain it, but any other things we can do to treat the foot/ankle?

Pics from today:
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.33.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.33.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.34.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.34.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.34.27 PM.png

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I feel like you should try to talk your regular local vet into looking at the foot. It looks like cellulitis or a bad infection. In one picture the toes look grey. Antibiotics are probably needed, something you cannot get without a prescription or might possibly get via a mail order company. I would soak the feet in warm Epsom salts or Betadine for 30 minutes. Something like cephalexin or another strong antibiotic is needed.

Kiki

🙄🤚Do More!😩🤚 Less is More®
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
I mean there are a couple of things that you can order online that are sold for other animals... What I'm asking is would you be willing to order something online?

Top Bottom