Infected foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boboshortbus, Aug 15, 2016.

1. boboshortbus

boboshortbus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Pennellville NY
    Need some help found one of moms chickens not eating or drinking

This is her foot

What can I do

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The ankle is pretty swollen from trauma or infection. I can't say exactly what it is, but I would try to figure out if her leg became injured and infected, or if her joint in infected from a bacterial or viral infection. Are there any other swollen joints or injuries, and is she the only chicken showing signs? Her legs look to have some scaly leg mites from the gray scaly appearance. That can be treated with a weekly washing in soap and water rubbing the scales with an old toothbrush or rag, and then applying either castor oil, vegetable oil, or vaseline into the scales weekly. Has there been any past mycoplasma (MG or MS) infection in the flock?
    I would try to get her to drink some water with SaveAChick or other brand of electrolytes with a small cup or by dropper. Offer wet feed, soft chopped egg or tuna to coax her to eat.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. boboshortbus

boboshortbus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Pennellville NY

Ok thank you.

I'll check the others today but the rest seemed fine running around eating and drinking normally.

I got her to drink a little last night and we brought her in the house

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How does the other foot look? Have you seen the others pecking at her foot? I would put a little betadine on the would daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by