Infected toe. What can I do to help my duck?

Vasicos1

Chirping
Jan 23, 2022
172E4C69-3A91-4BDF-9610-6E05F2DC20B5.jpeg

One of my ducks has recently become lame due to an infected toe. The vet gave me an anti inflammatory and Some antibiotics which i have to her twice a day all last week but there has been no change. Anyone else know what I can do?

View attachment 3218981
One of my ducks has recently become lame due to an infected toe. The vet gave me an anti inflammatory and Some antibiotics which i have to her twice a day all last week but there has been no change. Anyone else know what I can do?
It looks like there may be a plug of pus in it (under the toenail). Did the vet clean it out at all? You may want to call back and tell them the meds didn't work. The vet can prescribe a stronger antibiotic or different medications to address it, or clean out the wound.

I hope your duck heals up soon!

It looks like there may be a plug of pus in it (under the toenail). Did the vet clean it out at all? You may want to call back and tell them the meds didn't work. The vet can prescribe a stronger antibiotic or different medications to address it, or clean out the wound.

I hope your duck heals up soon!
Thank you. I am going to call them tomorrow. Yeah under her nail is a little scab where I’m assuming the infection started. We pulled the scab off and squeezed at her toe but only a little bit of blood came out. No pus

Thank you. I am going to call them tomorrow. Yeah under her nail is a little scab where I’m assuming the infection started. We pulled the scab off and squeezed at her toe but only a little bit of blood came out. No pus
I'm so sorry your duck is having a problem with bumblefoot. Any chance you can get a picture of the bottom of the foot and share it here? That will be more helpful. The pus will need to be removed. Did your vet do this? Sometimes it needs to be done multiple times. The pus will be more firm than what you see in humans. The consistency is more cheese like so it's not nearly as easy to remove as pus you'd find in a human. Are you soaking the foot, coating the scabbed area with an ointment and bandaging it to keep germs out? Your duck is lucky to have a vet (and you to take her ☺️)

I'm so sorry your duck is having a problem with bumblefoot. Any chance you can get a picture of the bottom of the foot and share it here? That will be more helpful. The pus will need to be removed. Did your vet do this? Sometimes it needs to be done multiple times. The pus will be more firm than what you see in humans. The consistency is more cheese like so it's not nearly as easy to remove as pus you'd find in a human. Are you soaking the foot, coating the scabbed area with an ointment and bandaging it to keep germs out? Your duck is lucky to have a vet (and you to take her ☺️)
745B3E12-C85E-454D-BE18-81E21CEDF4D7.jpeg
This is the bottom of her foot from a couple days ago. Nothing drained from it when we squeezed it. I haven’t soaked it though. What should I be soaking it in? I live in a small town so our vet tries to help any Animal you bring in but they’re definitely better at treating regular pets rather than ducks.

I soak feet in warm water with Epsom salts (be sure the duck doesn't drink this because when taken by mouth Epsom salts can cause diarrhea). With the wound on the end of the toe, it's more difficult to wrap/bandage it. You might want to look into using tricide-neo. I don't believe you have to wrap the foot with this treatment and it would probably help both of the other digits swelling as well as the most involved inside digit. I haven't used tricide-neo personally, but many people have used it with great success. The one time I've had a duck with an infection at the end of her toe, it was a Buff Duck which is smaller than a Pekin. Is your duck a Pekin?

I soak feet in warm water with Epsom salts (be sure the duck doesn't drink this because when taken by mouth Epsom salts can cause diarrhea). With the wound on the end of the toe, it's more difficult to wrap/bandage it. You might want to look into using tricide-neo. I don't believe you have to wrap the foot with this treatment and it would probably help both of the other digits swelling as well as the most involved inside digit. I haven't used tricide-neo personally, but many people have used it with great success. The one time I've had a duck with an infection at the end of her toe, it was a Buff Duck which is smaller than a Pekin. Is your duck a Pekin?
Awesome thank you! I can definitely give it a go. I’ll try anything at this point. Poor thing just wants to roam around with my other ducks but her foot is obviously very sore. She is a Pekin and weighs about 3.3 kg so she’s a pretty good size.

View attachment 3218981
UPDATE: it’s getting worse?!
I soaked her foot in an epsom salt bath but when I assessed her toe, the scab under her toe is gone but it’s now completely closed over and it’s squishy but nothing happens when you squeeze it. I will be ringing the vets tomorrow but thought I’d see if anyone has seen this before. It’s definitely much more swollen than before and definitely very sore to the touch.

Attachments

• D3179A71-3B72-455D-81D9-79238D2CF78C.jpeg
    D3179A71-3B72-455D-81D9-79238D2CF78C.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom