Infected toe

Arkkeeper

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2017
20170918_145317.jpg
infected toe??? How do I treat seems to be entire nail?

wrap it securely so she does not peck at it and make it even worse. It looks like sooner or later it will fall off. Also, if you have other chickens, i would keep them seperated from her until her toe is healed, otherwise they might peck at it and once chickens see a drop of blood, they don't stop pecking.

Looks like she got it smashed. Where are you located? What are your daily temperatures? I would watch it, dab some iodine on it, and the toenail may fall off eventually. She may limp or hold the foot up because of the pain.
We are in Tennessee it's upper 80's right now. Yes limping is a problem that's what made me notice it.

Hi. The toe looks pretty black in the photo. Did you wash it? The rest of the foot looks clean. You might soak it in warm Epsom Salts to get it cleaned out, just have her stand in a dishpan of it. Then Betadine, if you have it. Then isolate her in a warm quiet dark place so she won't try to run around. Treat her like she was a chick again, small waterer and feeder and warm quiet stress-free ICU. The other guys are right, the other chickens will pick on her if she acts slow or sick. Birds try to hide sickness for that reason. Best of luck, looks like you caught it pretty early.

Hi. The toe looks pretty black in the photo. Did you wash it? The rest of the foot looks clean. You might soak it in warm Epsom Salts to get it cleaned out, just have her stand in a dishpan of it. Then Betadine, if you have it. Then isolate her in a warm quiet dark place so she won't try to run around. Treat her like she was a chick again, small waterer and feeder and warm quiet stress-free ICU. The other guys are right, the other chickens will pick on her if she acts slow or sick. Birds try to hide sickness for that reason. Best of luck, looks like you caught it pretty early.
It is really that black! Thank you!

If I think my chicken has a bacterial infection, I use;
Colloidal silver, Neosporin, Epson Salts, Iodine or other over the counter products.

If my chicken has an open wound I use the above, but close the wound with liquid bandage or super glue.

Back
Top Bottom