Infected wound - paralyzed rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissFrog, Feb 19, 2017.

1. MissFrog

MissFrog Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Our sweet rooster started acting slow about 10 days ago. Then the first symptom was to stand with his head hanging low. We read about botulism as a possible cause, so we did molasses flush and epsom salt flush. He was pooping stinky chartreuse green with hard black pellets so we thought we were getting somewhere.
    But it got worse and he has been laying down, one leg not working. We have been feeding him baby parrot food through a syringe, and giving him water the same way. We are now adding electrolytes and vitamins to the water. He is feeding and drinking readily, and his eyes are bright even though he can hardly move.
    Today while feeding him, we found the the tip of one of his wings is badly wounded. It seems that something took a bite out of it, with a small moon shape missing. We never noticed before even though we have been handling him every day for a week, but this is the cause of his problems. It's very swollen and infected. It's on the same side as the paralyzed leg.
    We washed the wound in warm water, removed feathers, scrapped surface yucky yellow stuff, poured hydrogen peroxide on the wound. Then put antibiotic cream and gave him a shot of antibiotics.
    - Is there anything else we can do?
    - Even if we manage to fight the infection, is he likely to recover from the paralysis in his leg?
    We are leaving on a trip at the end of we week, and I am worried that our neighbors (who will be feeding the flock) won't want to deal with our poor sick bird, except of he is at least able to feed himself.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post photos?
    How old is he?
    What type of antibiotic did you give him?
    Was he vaccinated for Marek's?

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for him.

Hopefully with antibiotic treatment he will start to recover if the wound is from an injury or bite.

There's no way to know if the leg paralysis will clear up once infection has subsided. Offer him extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat and give him some poultry vitamins as well.

Let us know how he is doing.

3. MissFrog

MissFrog Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Thank you for responding!
    Poor bird is laying down, flat. If I could not see him breathing, I would think he is dead. He has a small dish of dry worms for protein and this morning he was lifting his head to peck at them.
    I will check with Hubby what antibiotic he gave him.
    I don't think he is vaccinated... we bought him at a country auction sale... Since he has this nasty bite wound I think all his problems come from that. Whatever bit him had a dirty mouth, or he just got infected from the poop in the coop or just being a chicken.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with a chicken healing from paralysis. I moved his leg yesterday to exercise him and it moves fairly normally, but his foot is folded and he does not lean on it. I don't find feeding him but that would be a miserable life for this great bird to be locked up in a cage laying down if he is not mobile... are we prolonging his suffering?

4. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    I'm wondering how this worked out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by