Infection after loss of toes from frostbite?

amandamann724

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2019
Idaho
Hi everyone- our pullet who had frostbite on her feet in January has since lost her toes on one foot. I’m not sure what I should be looking for as far as healing goes. I’ve been changing the dressing daily (they fell off on Sunday). Today, her legs feel a little warmer than usual, but she had been sleeping when I picked her up. There is some redness on part of the wound and black scabbing on the rest. What should I look for in regards to an infection? And at what point should I get her on antibiotics? If so, where do I get them and which is recommended? I want to be proactive! she has been eating, drinking, and pooping regularly. I offer her electrolytes and fresh water.

She is in our laundry room. She is walking, awkwardly of course but she is doing great, all things considered.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• C60C43E5-812A-416A-8812-EE4F28AA3E78.jpeg
    C60C43E5-812A-416A-8812-EE4F28AA3E78.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi everyone- our pullet who had frostbite on her feet in January has since lost her toes on one foot. I’m not sure what I should be looking for as far as healing goes. I’ve been changing the dressing daily (they fell off on Sunday). Today, her legs feel a little warmer than usual, but she had been sleeping when I picked her up. There is some redness on part of the wound and black scabbing on the rest. What should I look for in regards to an infection? And at what point should I get her on antibiotics? If so, where do I get them and which is recommended? I want to be proactive! she has been eating, drinking, and pooping regularly. I offer her electrolytes and fresh water.

She is in our laundry room. She is walking, awkwardly of course but she is doing great, all things considered.

Thanks for your help!
The black scabbing could be hiding an infection, but don't pick at it. If there is pus it will find a way out - trust me!
I would soak her foot in warm Epsom salt water daily and then simply put Neosporin (plain no pain reliever) on the scab twice a day.
She sounds like shes' doing pretty well, keep us posted please :)

That looks like many of the stumps seen in pictures here before. I would use Betadine (Equate First Aid Solution at Walmart) or Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) mixed with water to disinfectant them daily. Hopefully, they will continue to dry out and heel. Do you have a previous thread which can show the progression of the frostbite in pictures? Those can help others who are dealing with this problem.

The black scabbing could be hiding an infection, but don't pick at it. If there is pus it will find a way out - trust me!
I would soak her foot in warm Epsom salt water daily and then simply put Neosporin (plain no pain reliever) on the scab twice a day.
She sounds like shes' doing pretty well, keep us posted please :)
It seems a bit more red tonight. :(

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 11
It seems a bit more red tonight. :(
Have you been soaking the foot daily and applying antibiotic ointment?
It looks like something is gathering near the small spot - leave it be and see what happens. If pus does erupt, clean it out as much as you can and soak thoroughly using chlorhexidine in the warm water for it's antiseptic properties. I don't care for Betadine as it inhibits skin growth.
How is she doing overall - eating $& drinking well?
I think it's looking much better overall - pls. keep us posted :)

Back
Top Bottom