Infection in his leg please help

Rimav

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
My duck was diagnosed with an infection in his leg and given antibiotics with a poor prognosis. I'm scared It's not getting better with antibiotics and I'm desperate to help him. Any suggestions?
IMG_3670.jpg

My duck was diagnosed with an infection in his leg and given antibiotics with a poor prognosis. I'm scared It's not getting better with antibiotics and I'm desperate to help him. Any suggestions? View attachment 2758907
Did the vet say what caused the infection?
Was there a bumblefoot infection first or what?
Sorry to hear your duckie is unwell. 😔

My duck was diagnosed with an infection in his leg and given antibiotics with a poor prognosis. I'm scared It's not getting better with antibiotics and I'm desperate to help him. Any suggestions? View attachment 2758907
Did your vet take X-rays to see if the leg was fractured? I ask because of the way the leg is turned at the joint is an odd angle for a ducks leg to be sitting at.

What feed are the birds on?
It appears both legs are bowing inwards which is a classic sign of a niacin deficiency; it also appears perosis has developed in the leg with the severe angulation. Perosis (slipped tendon) will often occur due to a niacin deficiency in the late stages.
At its age, improvement will be very hard to achieve.
The kindest thing for these birds is euthanasia if we can't properly treat them, since these issues can be quite painful

1626254744319.png

Did your vet take X-rays to see if the leg was fractured? I ask because of the way the leg is turned at the joint is an odd angle for a ducks leg to be sitting at.
I have not done x-rays yet. I will be going for a follow up next week

I have not done x-rays yet. I will be going for a follow up next week
In the meantime start your duck on 1 ml of Liquid B complex daily and lets see if that helps. Then speak to the vet about slipped tendon. The vet should be able to do an examination and tell if this is what it is. You can get Liquid B complex at TSC also get a 1ml syringe so you can draw out the right amount put this over a tasty treat just enough treat that he gobbles it right down. This is worth trying if euthanasia is not something you want to think about right now. Here is info on the Liquid b complex what it looks like when you go to get it. It will say injectable but we give it orally. Keep an opened bottle in the frig.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
This may not work depending on how long this has been going on, but I always feel I have to try all I can before giving up.

Back
Top Bottom