Infection setting in on wound. Anything else I can do?

Solanacae

Crowing
Mar 10, 2021
Cache Valley, UT
We were dog sitting for my brother in law and a couple days ago, the kids mistakenly let the mini Aussie we were watching out into the yard while the chickens were out. The dog got a mouthful of feathers and ripped off some skin.
We trimmed off a lot of the surrounding feathers to try and keep it easier to clean. We have been washing the wound, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide, spraying with WoundKote and covering with a healing salve. I’m going to try and get her into the vet on Monday to get some antibiotics, but it’s looking greenish in some places. Her comb color is the same as usual, and she’s been eating and drinking just fine. She’s even laid a couple of eggs since she got hurt, though I expect that the trauma will cause the production line to stop or slow down while/if she heals. We have her isolated from the rest of the flock, though she can still see them and interact through the fencing around the isolation pen.
Is there anything else I can do to help her? My farm supply store has an assortment of bovine and swine antibiotics, but I have no idea what dosing to use. Does anyone have suggestions? Of course she’s my favorite hen, and I’d hate to lose her.

Attachments

• D064E1DB-69D4-4408-ACEB-606C7F591F4B.jpeg
    D064E1DB-69D4-4408-ACEB-606C7F591F4B.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 14
  • 2F0B0906-42F4-431D-B8F2-E90C3324558D.jpeg
    2F0B0906-42F4-431D-B8F2-E90C3324558D.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 11
  • E47EA0D8-96A1-4350-BB1C-23D989B06229.jpeg
    E47EA0D8-96A1-4350-BB1C-23D989B06229.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 11
The green is bruising. Stop the peroxide, as it can prevent healing. Saline or mild salt water—2 tsp salt to a liter/quart of water boiled to sterilize, can be used to clean the wound. Or get Hibiclens and water (chlorhexidene2%,) Vetericyn or similar wound spray, and continue with the antibiotic ountment or cream. It may not require antibiotics unless, it becomes runny or smells bad. Unless she has internal injuries, she should heal fine. My hen who was injured by a neighbor’s dog, went into a molt right and stopped laying after her incident.

Last edited:
The green is bruising. Stop the peroxide, as it can prevent healing. Saline or mild salt water—2 tsp salt to a liter/quart of water boiled to sterilize, can be used to clean the wound. Or get Hibiclens and water (chlorhexidene2%,) Vetericyn or similar wound spray, and continue with the antibiotic ountment or cream. It may not require antibiotics unless, it becomes runny or smells bad. Unless she has internal injuries, she should heal fine. My hen who was injured by a neighbor’s dog, went into a molt right and stopped laying after her incident.
Thank you! I was so worried about the green but that sets my mind at ease. I’ll stop the hydrogen peroxide. As far as I can tell, there weren’t any internal injuries, so crossing my fingers for a full recovery!

Should I worry about her being isolated for so long? I do have another hen I could put with her so she would have some company. They often hang out together.

Back
Top Bottom