Infectious Bronchitis

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chix12, Jun 5, 2016.

1. chix12

chix12 New Egg

Jul 3, 2015
    Hello, I had a chicken that passed away. I had him necropsied and he was diagnosed with IBV. I've culled the flock as they were either sick or carriers. I've since pressure washed and disinfected the coop. My question is how long should I wait before introducing new chicks. Particularly the run. Also the chickens were free range. I don't want to have to go through loosing another flock it was heart breaking.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Sorry for your troubles.

There's really no way to disinfect the run or range area.
    Where did you get the birds that were sick, what age did you get them, and when did they become ill??

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It may be worth considering vaccinating your future flock against IB.

CT

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    casportpony likes this.
  4. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have been sneezing/coughing for the past couple of weeks. Sime have white discharge in the eyes and coming out their nostrils. I have about 20 chickens. About 2 months ago they stopped laying eggs completely but they have started back up again. I looked up the symptoms and infectious bronchitis came up. Their egg shells are normal as I seen that wrinkled egg shells could result. But i thought that infectious bronchitis is what they have. I hatch chicks out every year and i would like to hatch chicks out from my own eggs. Will the chicks survive if that is what is wrong with my current flock? Will it be passed through the egg and be born with it? Any help would be much appreciated!!

5. Folly's place

Folly's place True BYC Addict

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Kenzier, The only way to know exactly what disease(s) you have is to have diagnostics run, either through necropsy, or there are blood or saliva tests for some diseases. Call your state poultry veterinarian, probably the state vet school lab, for information to go forward with this. Guessing won't pay off for you!
    Mary

casportpony and aart like this.
  6. Folly's place

Folly's place True BYC Addict

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome chix12! So sorry you are going through this. If it's IBV, you will need to have new birds vaccinated against it before arriving at your place. Talk to the veterinarians where you had the necropsy done, I'm assuming it was at a state veterinary lab.
    For Mycoplasma, three weeks without birds is enough to eliminate the disease.
    Good luck!
    Mary

casportpony and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by