Infectious bronchitis??

hansenhens

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Hi there,
I think that a couple of my hens may have Infectious bronchitis. The worst one is sneezing, has been laying shell-less eggs (at least I'm pretty sure its her) and I have seen her with stings of saliva from her beak. Another one has her eyes closed a lot (and sneezes/coughs).
I live in Canada and the farm stores I have contacted have not been that helpful.
Do you think I have diagnosed this correctly?? Does anyone know how to treat the hens???
Thank you very much for any input you can offer!

Last edited:
Chronic Respiratory Disease. You need to quaranteen them immediately. Please give more symptoms. You may im me. Are they experiencing discharge and sticky eyes that are swelling? Is their poo normal?

How long have your chickens been sick? CRD Usually occurs in a flock that has been experiencing ILT for some time and several birds have already passed.

Let me know the details and I will try to help but it is CRUCIAL you keep them quaranteened and do not allow them to eat and drink with healthy birds.

I am praying for your flock.

Thank you SO much for your reply. I found a store that sold me some oxytetracyclin (SP?). I haven't given them any yet because I am not sure if it is the right thing. I have 15 hens, none have them have died. I am not sure what ILT is...
I do not see any other symptons at this point...

IB is the most infectious and one of the most common poultry diseases. It very well could be IB. IB spreads very rapidly (as quickly as 18 hours) and it is airborne (travels 1000 feet I think on the air), so lock them birds down to be nice to your neighboring chicken keepers. Survivors are carriers, but with some TLC, good flock management, and strong antibiotics, you can pretty much control it. Whatever it is, the treatment for most respiratory diseases is the same. I've had great success using Baytril and VetRX in combination to treat serious respiratory illnesses, but I've also heard good results come from Gallamycin (G something... not sure). Talk to your vet about which antibiotic would be best for your area (different areas may be resistant to different antibiotics) and I'd for sure start treating all your birds with VetRX (give orally, .4cc for a large bantam, .8cc for LF).

Oxytetracyclin is way overused and now only benefits minor infections. You need a potent antibiotic to wrangle this.

ILT = Infectious Laryngotracheitis (killed the spelling on that one). It's a very serious disease that, in the US, requires the elimination of your flock. It's not that common though, and people tend to think all sneezing = Laryngo. Unfortunately, it's hard to distinguish from all other respiratory diseases.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom