Infertile rooster?

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
I set eggs under a broody a week and two days ago. I'm am absolutely positive the rooster is mating with the hens that laid the eggs. However, when I candled them at one week, not a single egg was developing. I feel bad for the broody and will probably just buy her a couple of chicks to raise if I still see no development by tomorrow. My question is this...how often is it that a rooster is infertile? I do know that sometimes he fumbles around a lot with the LF girls, but these were all bantam eggs. He is a silkie and is two years old.

Have you tried cracking some fresh eggs open to check? Being a Silkie it can be easy for everything to get lost in the feathers. It would be worth checking other eggs and maybe snipping some butt feathers to see if that helps.

Have you tried cracking some fresh eggs open to check? Being a Silkie it can be easy for everything to get lost in the feathers. It would be worth checking other eggs and maybe snipping some butt feathers to see if that helps.
This is helpful. I'll try trimming him. I always from around his eyes but hadn't thought about the vent area. Good thought!

Back
Top Bottom