Infestation. UNBELIEVABLE.

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
we have a 25lb bag of chick starter/grower out in the garage and when i went to get some to feed the chicks, i found little disgusting brown bugs in the feed

will they harm my chicks?

how can i get rid of them/ prevent them?

Last edited:
Return the feed to the store you bought it from. Chances are the feed was infested when you bought it, unless it's been sitting around a long time at your house. Old feed is no good, especially if it has bugs in it. The vitamins and "stuff" that makes it food degrades over time, and with bugs eating, defecating and reproducing in the food all the nutritional value is being lost. It's no good for growing babies.

Put your feed into an airtight container to keep the bugs out. I have some great (expensive) containers with screw tops, but I used to use old, clean drywall buckets to store food that worked just as well.

Get the feed out of your garage ASAP. I had a moth infestation in my house a few years back from a bag of seed that spread through my entire house. It took weeks to clean it up.

Good luck.

Moths are a total nuisance. I know about moth issues. They are driving me nuts...
he.gif

I would return it, but i think that the infestation occurred in my garage.

I bought the bag on saturday, and the bag has just had a small hole in the top. when i first bought it, i put some in a little container and had it by the chicks for easy distribution. that feed has no bugs, but the stuff in the garage does. therefore, i am fairly sure this happened in the last four days at my house, and i don't think it would be fair to take the feed back to the store, esp if it was my fault

so i definitely went to the same feed store (i tried TSC but they said that they didn't carry Purina) and got some new feed. then i went to TSC to get a galvanized steel container to put it in to make sure no bugs got in. i poured the food.... and there were bugs in the food again. now, i know they are no harm to my chicks, but we don't want the bugs in the house.

so i did some investigating, and the expiration date was JULY 9TH 2007!!!

I AM SO ANGRY!

You need to get your money back on both bags! Sounds like weevils, and weevils (or whatever you call them) didn't come from your house.

That's just plain irresponsible, and they need to be called out on it. I would call the corporate office (or better, write) and make a big ol' stink about it.

I definitely agree. Infestation does not take 4 days, it takes a lot longer.

If you have those pesky meal moths, you need to fumigate immediately. These guys are really, really a problem.

Take the feed back. The management should be contacted.

This would not be the first time a feed store gets bad feed from
their supplier.

Your chicks may like the worms, but I asure you that this could
become a real problem for you.

i HOPE YOU CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK!
AND AS A SIDE BAR HERE.... WE KEEP OUR FEED IN GARBAGE PAILS. WE HAVE ONE METAL ONE AND ONE PLASTIC ONE ACUTALLY. THEY'RE NOT 'AIR TIGHT' BUT WE'VE YET TO HAVE ANY ISSUES.
I REALIZE YOUR BUG PROBLEM CAME FROM THE STORE BUT JUST THOUGHT I'D THROW THE IDEA OUT THERE.
GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom