Info needed on starting my own hatchery

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
I'm not sure where this goes, so I'm going to be posting this on a few different forums. Anyway, I am a teen, and my dream is to have a hatchery when I'm an adult. I want to soak up as much information now, rather than later. I already have a plan, but I want advice.

The hatchery will be in TN, so first off I was wondering what kind of business license I would need, and links would be appreciated. I want to start with 6 different breeds which include Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington, Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex and Blue Andalusian. I would have 6 hens and 1 rooster per breed to start. My plan is to build a barn with 12 horse stalls in it (with the sides and front that goes all the way up, and have each seperate breed in a stall. I would cut out the back of each stall, and put hinges on the piece I cut for a door to the outside (with a large window covered with chicken wire), which will have large runs that are about the size of the stall. I would have two perches in the stall, with nest boxes lining one side of the stall. I would also have 2 stalls for broody hens/chicks, outside bachelor coop for any unsold males. I want to have at least 2 incubators in the house. As for money, I have a part time job that will pay for the chickens themselves, food, incubators and other needs, but my parents are willing to help out on the barn itself. I was planning to do all the other construction myself, with the help of my dad on weekends. Any tips? Advice? Criticism? Ideas? Thanks :)

Hi, not sure if that was a public post- but yes a hatchery is a good choice. And it often pays off well. As long as you can keep up with orders, deposits, and things of that nature as far as license ...you should visit WWW.hatcheryupstart.com not sure if it is still up and running butyou should be able to get started from there.....my farms website is currently down right now but I have all the info on there.... unfortunately. Its not so u should definitely check out hatchery upstart best of luck kido'

You should check with your state's Department of Agriculture to see what testing is needed and how often. And what fees are involved if any. If you plan to ship chicks you also need to be aware of other state's regulations and obtain any necessary permits.

You should look into obtaining better than hatchery stock if possible. Also it is important to have a back up male in case something happens to your first choice.

I'm not sure where this goes, so I'm going to be posting this on a few different forums. Anyway, I am a teen, and my dream is to have a hatchery when I'm an adult. I want to soak up as much information now, rather than later. I already have a plan, but I want advice.

The hatchery will be in TN, so first off I was wondering what kind of business license I would need, and links would be appreciated. I want to start with 6 different breeds which include Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington, Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex and Blue Andalusian. I would have 6 hens and 1 rooster per breed to start. My plan is to build a barn with 12 horse stalls in it (with the sides and front that goes all the way up, and have each seperate breed in a stall. I would cut out the back of each stall, and put hinges on the piece I cut for a door to the outside (with a large window covered with chicken wire), which will have large runs that are about the size of the stall. I would have two perches in the stall, with nest boxes lining one side of the stall. I would also have 2 stalls for broody hens/chicks, outside bachelor coop for any unsold males. I want to have at least 2 incubators in the house. As for money, I have a part time job that will pay for the chickens themselves, food, incubators and other needs, but my parents are willing to help out on the barn itself. I was planning to do all the other construction myself, with the help of my dad on weekends. Any tips? Advice? Criticism? Ideas? Thanks
smile.png
Hmm.. I recommend becoming a breeder not a hatchery. I don't have much respect for hatcheries personally, i prefer quality over quantity which is not what most hatcheries offer. Also do you have chickens now?? if not than slow down. Start with a few hens and make sure you like it. If you do have chickens and want to breed for quality NOT quantity (it is a lot of fun!), join your local 4-h club and you can learn a lot there. Talk to some local breeders, buy a copy of the standard of perfection, get a few quality pair/trio of an easy to work with breed. (some examples would be LangShan bantams, Modern Game Bantams, Cornish bantams or Bantam Bramahs. i recommend only bantams they are easier.) If you are still stuck on hatchery i don't know much about how all of that works. Please Private Message me if you want to know more about showing and breeding chickens i am more than happy to share wisdom.
smile.png

Thanks guys! I own about 16 chickens now. I guess breeder is the word I'm looking for, as I want to breed good birds. Plus I'll only be hatching about 5-10 birds per breed at first. Depending on how many people are buying. I have a selection of breeds that I eventually want to breed once my facilities are bigger. It comes to a total of 29 breeds, but Im just going to start with 5-7.

I definitely will pm you Sonny about my starting breeds and what qualifies as good traits for those breeds. Maybe if you could come up with a photo of a good quality bird in those breeds.

Thanks!

I definitely will pm you Sonny about my starting breeds and what qualifies as good traits for those breeds. Maybe if you could come up with a photo of a good quality bird in those breeds.

Thanks!
Join the APA and get a copy of the Standard of Perfection. Not only does it contain drawing of the ideal specimens and requirements by breed and variety, it shows disqualifications and less desirable traits in general.

Back
Top Bottom