Info on "free range"

Thanks for the info, why would you only let the chickens out in the afternoon? I was planning on letting them out in the morning and putting them back in the coop at night.

Quote:
Right now mine only go out for an hour or two before sundown, because I don't have a run yet (it's being built). I stay out there, the woods are right behind them, and who knows what's lurking out there as the sun goes down?
ep.gif
So far I've seen a grey fox in the morning and feral cats in the evening, but I know there are coons out there waiting for dinner!

As soon as the sun goes down they all march back into the coop and I lock them up for the night.

if you let them out later in the day rather then right in the morning they tend to not wounder as far away from home. If they have the entire day to run around they tend to go further away from the coop, at least mine are like that anyhow.

Mine are let out between 7:30-8 am and called back in around 7pm. they havent wandered that far away yet and they have never hopped the fence line.

I've let mine out of the coop and run area for the last week for the whole day and with an acre there isn't enough shade so they just stay under and around our deck all day. They were only out an hour this morning as I saw 2 cats watching them from the pond. I'll let them back out after dinner until sun down. Crazy how you can get so attached and afraid for them.

I think its just good parenting
wink.png

I'm new here and new to chickens too. If chickens have gotten used to their coop and pen, can they be out free range without a fence? Would they just hang out and go back into the pen/coop? I would lock them up at night to keep them safe from the night marauders.

We live in a rural area, country road, no neighbors etc. The coop is in the back yard, has woods, meadow and a small creek. Thanks for any advice
smile.png

Cathy

A2--I'm not an expert, but I have had no trouble with mine returning to the coop each evening. Once they know where home base is, they should go there to roost each night.

My concern would be predators--Do you have many in your area?
I haven't had problems but I think its mostly because my dog hangs out with the chickens.

They will also enjoy any flower beds you have!
wink.png

Mine free range all day from when I go out to open up the 2 coops which is before I get on this addictive forum( or they wouldn't get out til noon) until just about dark when I go back out and close up the coops.
They put themselves to bed where we just have to lock up but if we go out too early they see us coming and come running expecting treats.
The 2 flocks mix during the day but go back to their separate coops at night.
They range over about an acre of unfenced yard,horse corrals, mowed pasture and porches where they clean up cat food that got left behind but leave deposits that we have to clean up.
The cats are loose with them and only occasionally do we see a cat chase a chicken but once they are up in the air the cats lose interest. We have never trimmed wings to allow the chickens the ability to escape vertically along with horizontally.
We have lost 2 chickens from drowning in the swimming pool, well one froze but have rescued others with the pool net after they got in the pool. We know they are in there when we look outside and see the cats lined up around the pool intently looking inward.
We are on the edge of town and have minimal daytime predator problems, occasionally a dog or a hawk but the chickens have trees or shrubs for cover.
Feed is scattered around the yard near the coops but they roam most of the day looking for other things to eat. There are several water containers around the place and all the animals and chickens use them.
Most of the eggs are laid in the coops but if the count varies drastically for a couple of days then we look for a secret stash which normally is used only for a cople of days if we keep retreiving the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom