Info on sebastopol geese Please.

Chickensrock10110

Songster
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Hawaii
Looking to purchace a few if I ever find some.But I wanted to get more information about them.Can anyone give me any tips or info for a soon to be first time geese owner?
Is it better to start with eggs or goslings?Can`t really find any of either so I`m still looking.Breeders, still have any for sale?

Last edited:
Unless you have experience with hatching goose eggs, I would recommend goslings or even half grown birds. Quite a few growers sell 'started' geese in the fall when they start to realize that they don't have room or don't want to face the feed costs of geese in winter.
If you can find a copy of "the Book of Geese" by Dave Holderread (google for his website) it covers the subject of geese better than most. Softcover and not too expensive.

Hi buying goose eggs are a large gamble..... they dont ship well, or hatch well. buying live birds is a sure thing :)
We have a sebatopol forum. If you want the info email me. You might be able to find somone on the east coast that is willing to ship.

Dave Holdrread is a very experienced shipper and even ships internationally. With you being in Hawaii I would highly recommend you buy a young adult sexed pair this fall from Dave. I wouldn't risk shipping goslings since even Express Mail does not guarantee lives will arrive overnight.
I've had them take up to 3 days then you're talking DOA when it comes to day olds.
If you want to buy from DH you will need to contact him very soon since he sells out fast, even fall sale birds.
Another plus is he's on the west coast...Oregon.
Its best to call because they're very busy and not real good about emailing.
http://www.holderreadfarm.com/index.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom