Info Please....

Doormantnt

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Glen Burnie, MD
Morning all.

Just a question. I have a mixed flock, all about 9 months old, and all laying well and regular. Question is starting 2 days ago the assumed barred rock, who is normally VERY social, and thinks she is a dog has been hanging out in the nest box. Have looked her over, and seems physically well, and happy, still laying regular, and steady. I moved her from box last night to roost, and before lights out was back in box till morning.

last night when I let them out, she reluctianly got out (with motivaion from me) and free-range for bout hour, then right back to box.

IS SHE POSSIBLY GOING BROODY????? or just avoiding others for a while? I know nothing of it, what are possible complications, and outcomes....there are no roosters around so no good use of broody if she is.....

I just don't want to start bad habit of sleeping in the boxes, they where always good with putting them self in, and onto roost, and I liked it that way.

Thanks in advance for information.

TNT

something I need to intervene with? or will whatever run it's course? I'm at a loss with this one....will have to research I guess....

Thanks.
TNT

OK, so it looks the worst could possibly be she would be cranky, and may not lay for a couple weeks?? am I correct?

But if I "motivate" her to move to gather eggs and see her eat and drink, all is well right?

or I could try the "cage" theory on "breaking" her......just looking for some insight.

TNT

As long as she's still eating and drinking, and looks healthy, you can certainly let it run its course. If she starts to look the worse for wear, you might want to try to break her.

My EE Olivia went broody... after looking for advice on BYC, I isolated her in a separate cage with no fluff. Gave her plenty of food and water. After the first several nights alone, I felt bad and started to put her to roost w/ her sisters @ night. It all worked... BUT she seemed different. Just now she is eating from my hand again (this all happened in the fall) She is still skiddish, but getting better. I don't know if it was the broody thing or isolation ~ Oh and she still hasn't resumed laying.
hu.gif

Definently broody. I got myself one right now too. I got a BYC person near me that gave me some fertile eggs for my girl to sit on. So- we'll see 20 days from now if we have some babies. (I just put the eggs under her last night. That's why I say 20 days)

Back
Top Bottom