Information on broody Buff Rocks

blueberryboy

Hatching
Apr 28, 2016
Hello all, I just joined BYC today! I've had chickens for around 6 years but this is the first year that I've bought them as chicks and am trying to raise them myself. I currently have around 60 chicks growing up and around 20 of them are Buff Rocks. I recently learned that they are very broody hens (rookie mistake as I was not interested in broody hens and didn't catch that before I got them
hmm.png
) and was wondering for little more information on them. Few big questions are...

-If you are able to get them out of a broody mood once will they be out for ever?
-Does the amount of hens it is with increase/decrease the broodiness of the hen?
-If I constantly remove the eggs will they be less likely to sit on them?

If theres any other things you think i should know and what to add that'd be great! Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Broody hens tend to become broody repeatedly - I have had hens raise as many as 5 clutches in a year.

In my experience flock population has no impact on the occurrence of broodiness.

Some people feel that the presence of a clutch of eggs encourages broodiness. I am not certain that this is factual.

:welcome

Broody hens tend to become broody repeatedly - I have had hens raise as many as 5 clutches in a year.

In my experience flock population has no impact on the occurrence of broodiness.

Some people feel that the presence of a clutch of eggs encourages broodiness.  I am not certain that this is factual.

Is there anyway to try to prevent broodieness in them?

No you can't stop them from going broody - you can do some things to "break" their broodiness but they will go broody again. If they do it often enough to annoy you, you should re-home them. Lots of folks welcome broodies with open arms. Much better than using an incubator.

You can check out articles on "Breaking broodies," put that in the search box.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom