Infra Red Light use for Heat

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunnydee, Oct 12, 2008.

1. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I am in Maine and the nights are starting to get pretty chilly! My chicken coop is insulated, however, I purchased a infra red light to take the chill out before locking them up at night. I tried it and it waked them all up! I thought a infra red heat light was not going to do this? Any suggestions?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Turn the light on before the birds go in to roost at night. Give them a chance to get used to it.

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my infra red never gets turned off...except for the summer

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Just curious, but why? Isn't that expensive?

Pat

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You might want to take a look at a heat emitter bulb. Doesn't put out any light

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have one and I'm in Maine. Are they safe with straw in a barn?

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In the winter I leave a red incandesant light on 24/7 and in the eves., I have a timer on the red heat lamp. Since, the chickens usually are out most of the day I see no need to have it on except when they go to roost.

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Any heat source needs to be kept from contacting aan combustible material. As long as you keep it far enough away it shouldn't be any problem. The best thing is to add and thermostatically controlled plug. Americanlivestocksupply has them for $12. It will turn on at 35 degrees and off at 40. That way you aren't using it until necessary. The disadvantage to a heat lamp is that they produce light as well as heat. This could throw off the birds internal clock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by