Infrequent Egg Layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skamaghetten, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Skamaghetten

Skamaghetten Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Suburb Maryland
    I have a 23 week old chicken that has begun laying eggs. I don't know what type of chicken she is, but she looks like a standard white chicken that lays white eggs. She's on layer feed and has a light in the coop. All day long she has free range over the yard.

My question is: Why does she only lay one egg every week or so?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Some breeds are not great egg-layers. Are you sure she's not hiding them during the day when she free-ranges?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Also, you don't need light in the coop...this may be disrupting her sleep patterns. In addition, the older a hen gets, the less frequently she lays. Do you know with certainty how old she is?

4. Skamaghetten

Skamaghetten Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Suburb Maryland
    My yard is very small, I check for surprise eggs often. I'm starting to think that she is just not a good layer.

I raised her from two weeks old, her age could only be off by a week or so. You can also tell that she is not laying by her size. Compared to her "sister" of a different breed, she has about two more pounds on her.

I leave have the light in the coop turn on two hrs before sun up and turns off two hours after sun down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by