Ingrown Spur

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have a young rooster who has what appears to be an ingrown spur. The spur on his one leg is normal, but the other grows n a big circle and is either embedded or seriously rubbing on his leg. I talked to our vet's office, and they think they can help us trim the spur and remove any imbedded portion from his leg, and hopefully it will be no big deal to keep it clean for a couple days til it heals.
It is only slightly impeding his walking. But is there any way to keep this from recurring? Or is there some sort of cap I could put on it so that if it does grow that long, it won't penetrate his leg til we can catch him to trim it? If we put duct tape on the end, would that damage it? It's just a hassle to catch him, though we can, we haven't yet. He's free-range. Plan to try to catch him tomorrow morning.

I know this is one of those questions that I'll be amazed if I get an answer that's a solution, but just thought I'd ask.
smile.png
I'd ask the vet, but he doesn't normally do birds, and I'm sure he won't know.

Actually the vet said it probably would not. Said the only thing is to just keep them clipped, but they probably won't grow that fast.
Clipped both spurs, antiseptic on his little wound, and he's good to go. A worthwhile $10.00
smile.png

I am basically worried that he might get caught on something if I try that. He free ranges and might get caught on a roost, or somewhere on the ground where he can't escape
from a predator or just is hung up and we never find him.....
sad.png
Thanks for the idea though.

Back
Top Bottom