Inherited coop

jwsmith1959

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
Orchard, Texas
Been awhile for me to have chickens (50 years or so) and honestly my Mom took care of them when I was a kid anyway. We had around 100 back then and I rarely interacted with them other than collecting eggs and disposing of the occasional dead one as needed.

Recently moved to a new place (6 acres) near the Gulf Coast of Texas and one of the prior owners built a very nice chicken coop. It is about 10' X 50' with a concrete floor. It has a slanted tin roof that is high enough for me (6 feet tall) to move around comfortably. It has water and a large tree that shades it pretty well too. Fenced well enough to keep out any furry predators. We do have coyotes and bobcats in the area. Am about 1/4 mile from the Brazos River, so I am sure there are plenty of coons to worry about also. I have ways of keeping them along with any scaly critters in check.

The run has two sets of raised nesting boxes (nine each - 18 total) that are adequately sized. It also has a smallish dog house type structure on one end (maybe 4'X6'. It is enclosed, but open in the front. I plan on using pine shavings for the boxes unless anyone has a better idea that is also economical.

There is currently some pine shaving litter on the floor along with natural leaves that have collected. I plan on leaving it there unless instructed otherwise. I will sweep it up occasionally to add to my compost pile and add new pine shavings.

I plan on starting with around 6-10 birds (local feed store keeps them in stock weekly). They should be about 12 weeks old when I purchase them. They keep Barred Rock and Rhode Island Reds usually. I have several questions that I hope can be answered here.

1. How long do I need to keep them exclusively in the coop before allowing them to free range. My wife is the one who is really wanting this, but I want to make it as easy as possible. I plan on getting a feeder and waterer from Tractor Supply. I hope a 30 gallon metal trash can will be enough to store bags of feed and any other essentials that need to be kept out of the weather.

2. What are some types of feed that I need to keep on hand. These will be laying birds and no rooster.

3. Is pine shavings acceptable for floor litter.

4. Any additives to the water, or is the well water I have fine?

I am sure I will have additional questions and hope to ask them as they come up.

Joel

1. I lock my new birds in the coop for a min of 3 days(when older birds remain to show them the way) or up to 5 days if its a whole new flock.
2. I like layer pellets 16-18% protein plus a side of oyster shells. Flock raiser pellets are a little heigher in protein which wood be better for meat breeds.
3. Pine shavings work fine so long as they stay dry. Once wet, they tend to stay wet and can smell when mixed with the feces equals more frequent cleanings. You may have mold issues with the high humidity too? Pine straw (needles) work well and tend to dry better between rains with sun and wind. Also, chunkier wood debris like the scraps around a wood pile after splitting firewood is great stuff. Not wood mulch. Too many fines.
4. I collect rainwater when its warm and use well water when its not without any additives. You can add vitamin supplements or herbs to the water as an organic way to boost immune systems but free range birds getting a variety of food often do just fine without it.

It is about 10' X 50'
Is this all under a roof?
Some pics might would help.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
-Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @jwsmith1959
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582552845541.png

Hate to bring back a zombie thread, but I got sidetracked with the pandemic. I just purchased 6 production reds and added (supposed to be 17 weeks) into my coop today. They seem a bit jumpy and I hoped after 4-5 hours would be roaming around their new home like they were made for it.

I supplied two water stations and two tray feeders. One end of the coop has plywood surrounding it and that is where they have congregated. They are huddling in the corner and one or two are hiding under the lower level nesting boxes. I have about a 4X4 lean-to at the other end. I have 13 boxes with shavings for them and roosts for each box. As I noted in my intro, it has been quite a few years since I had chickens, but I have been reading this site since I joined....I just have not had anything to talk about yet really.

I am supplying a photo to give you an idea of the coop I am working with. I know just to leave them alone for awhile, but was curious as to the proper time frame for them to attempt to explore a bit. As luck would have it, we have rain and possible storms for the next day or so. The coop is well covered and there is the lean-to at the one end for extra protection.

Chicken Coop.jpg

I've cleaned it up considerably since this photo was taken. lol

What should I expect in the next day or two as far as flock behavior, etc.

Reds first day.jpg

Hate to bring back a zombie thread
Not a zombie thread(not that old)....it's your thread and even tho updates can be far and few between, still best to add on instead of starting a new one ;)

Poor things are terrified, chickens don't like change at all.
Hopefully they don't get stuck next to the nests there.
If they are still there after dark might want to grab them and put them in the lean to.

I would just turn them loose in the whole run. Give them room to move around so they are not freaking out and piling up in that tiny little corner next to the laying boxes. At least if they are huddled together in a corner of the pen they are not wedging themselves between something and piling up on top of each other. Just make sure they are not sleeping in a corner of the pen else a racoon will pull them through that chain link fence piece by piece. (not trying to be too graphic there but it is the truth)

If you don't mind me asking. What is all the stuff that is in that pen?

Also, regardless of what you do. They should calm down over the next few days once they settle into there new home. As far as additives, I am big fan of ACV. I will throw a little in the water for all my animals.

Will they try and roost on their own? I have food and water out. When should I get worried?
Hard to say, I'd bet they'll huddle on the ground.
Might want to scoot them out of that corner.
Move slow and calm, talk softly, it will take them some time to get used to you and their new place.
What was their previous home like, did they get handled by humans at all?

Back
Top Bottom