inheriting a flock and coop - MANY questions

How cold does it get? We don't supply heat to our birds. I figure if the sparrows, bluebirds and cardinals can survive in the wild, my chickrns can, in an enclosed coop as long as they stay dry.
I don't heat my current coop, with similar winter temperatures (we had a cold snap recently with actual temps ~2°F, lower wind chills, and my birds were basically fine). Planning to get the new coop some heated waterers. My only concern with removing the lamps is that they've been in a heated coop so far this winter and so haven't acclimated, and i'm not sure how long that transition will take.

What are the current temps? During the day do they leave the heated coop and hangout where it is not heated all day? I always think if mine can run around all day outside in (for instance) 25 degree weather, then when that is the night time low on a different night they are probably fine and don’t need heat as long as they’re hydrated and ate well that day. Hope that makes sense. You could get a heater with different settings and slowly decrease the heat on it over a time span. The flat panel radiant heaters only heat what is near them, you could get a couple of those and if they decide they’re cold, they could make the decision to cuddle near them.

I don't heat my current coop, with similar winter temperatures (we had a cold snap recently with actual temps ~2°F, lower wind chills, and my birds were basically fine). Planning to get the new coop some heated waterers. My only concern with removing the lamps is that they've been in a heated coop so far this winter and so haven't acclimated, and i'm not sure how long that transition will take.
Just get a $15 200 watt aquarium heater and put it in a 5 gal bucket with nipple waterers. This is safer than bulbs or anything else. My chickens are fine in -25f unheated coop with window open. You'll probably need an extension cord, I don't use super thick outdoor rated either.

That is a consideration, since they are used to heat, but warmer temps should be coming. I would think that next winter, just don't use the heat lamps at all and let them acclimate naturally as the seasons change.

Back
Top Bottom