Initial laying habits

Healer Mama

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
Hi everyone this is my first post. I am a backyard chicken owner. I have 3 lil ladies. 1. Black sex link “Prada” 2. Easter egger “ Gucci” 3 Blue Plymouth “ Versace “. They were born on June 3rd. I was told that because they were born later in spring that my girls may not lay this winter because if day light. I live in California and the weather is still great but, I was prepared to wait until spring. Low and behold my Easter Egger was making all kinds of funny sounds frim the coop the morning before Thanksgiving. A perfect small green egg. Thanksgiving morning she didn’t lay, but then I heard some noice coming from the coop at 5 pm yesterday and she gifted us another egg. Today nothing yet. Is this normal behavior at the beginning? The other two haven’t laid yet. Also does that mean I heard wrong about laying seasons and there is a possibility the other two girls will give me eggs soon too?

Attachments

• 2BFAC5BD-3A2D-4C80-8C90-F64C87A14CEF.jpeg
    2BFAC5BD-3A2D-4C80-8C90-F64C87A14CEF.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 7
  • A7C70B15-0426-47A6-9F69-2DB2FD91D290.jpeg
    A7C70B15-0426-47A6-9F69-2DB2FD91D290.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 6
Your girls may or may not still lay this year; it's not unusual for them to mature at different rates. Generally, most hens take off when the days are shorter, if you're not using supplemental light. Sounds like your little Gucci is behaving perfectly normally. She may, after this initial period, also decide to take a break over the winter.

Congrats on the green eggs and welcome to BYC!!

Hi everyone this is my first post. I am a backyard chicken owner. I have 3 lil ladies. 1. Black sex link “Prada” 2. Easter egger “ Gucci” 3 Blue Plymouth “ Versace “. They were born on June 3rd. I was told that because they were born later in spring that my girls may not lay this winter because if day light. I live in California and the weather is still great but, I was prepared to wait until spring. Low and behold my Easter Egger was making all kinds of funny sounds frim the coop the morning before Thanksgiving. A perfect small green egg. Thanksgiving morning she didn’t lay, but then I heard some noice coming from the coop at 5 pm yesterday and she gifted us another egg. Today nothing yet. Is this normal behavior at the beginning? The other two haven’t laid yet. Also does that mean I heard wrong about laying seasons and there is a possibility the other two girls will give me eggs soon too?
Congratulations! The one thing that is certain about raising chicks is there are no certainties. Hopefully they will.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom