Injured 3 Week Old Chick

Jess89

Songster
Oct 23, 2018
Tennessee
This poor baby has been limping for maybe a week. I thought one of the other chicks may have just stepped on her leg wrong and it would get better. But I looked at her today and seen her leg is swollen and red! I’ve never had a chick do this before and have no idea what it could be. Any advice or thoughts??

Attachments

• ACEB174B-3C67-4356-82AD-8F9BCBED4FBB.jpeg
    ACEB174B-3C67-4356-82AD-8F9BCBED4FBB.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8D669ED8-7056-4AC4-B17F-9AE88BAFA37C.jpeg
    8D669ED8-7056-4AC4-B17F-9AE88BAFA37C.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 5
This poor baby has been limping for maybe a week. I thought one of the other chicks may have just stepped on her leg wrong and it would get better. But I looked at her today and seen her leg is swollen and red! I’ve never had a chick do this before and have no idea what it could be. Any advice or thoughts??
It looks a little odd, have you had a feel gently? is it just general swelling along the leg, or possibly a large bump or abscess on it? It looks more like a lump, than swelling, but it's hard to judge from a photo.

If the leg is that swollen, I imagine it's possible that the bone is fractured, is there any possibility the chick could have fallen from a height?
Is it still walking? Or just laying down?
It may be a good idea to separate the chick, and confine her to a smaller space so she is inclined to rest.

Is a vet an option? They would be able to diagnose the situation, and if it is an injury to the leg, they could prescribe medicine to help with pain and inflammation.

It looks a little odd, have you had a feel gently? is it just general swelling along the leg, or possibly a large bump or abscess on it? It looks more like a lump, than swelling, but it's hard to judge from a photo.

If the leg is that swollen, I imagine it's possible that the bone is fractured, is there any possibility the chick could have fallen from a height?
Is it still walking? Or just laying down?
It may be a good idea to separate the chick, and confine her to a smaller space so she is inclined to rest.

Is a vet an option? They would be able to diagnose the situation, and if it is an injury to the leg, they could prescribe medicine to help with pain and inflammation.
It could be an abscess but it wasn’t this large the other day, which makes me think swelling. She does walk on it but lays down a lot. She’s never fallen or been given the opportunity to fall from anything. I may have to take her to the vet if I can find one near me that treat’s chickens😳

It could be an abscess but it wasn’t this large the other day, which makes me think swelling. She does walk on it but lays down a lot. She’s never fallen or been given the opportunity to fall from anything. I may have to take her to the vet if I can find one near me that treat’s chickens😳
That makes me think it could be an absess, the way it looks, the growth of it, the fact she's still walking and couldn't easily have injured herself- I'd have a look around for a vet. See if there's any avian vets or exotics vets, they should see chickens, if it's absess they should be able to drain it or prescribe a medication if need be

Back
Top Bottom