injured 6 week old chick

KerryMZ

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
sad.png

Our 6 week old chick just got injured by the cage door (very heavy) falling on her wing and back. She won't/can't stand, is relatively motionless, and acts calm. I will not take her to a vet. What would you look for to see whether she could be rehabilitated, or is better off if I put her down?
Thoughts?

Chicks are really tough, tougher than we give them credit for. One of my chicks was recently stepped on (by me, this is the second chick I've just about squashed, maybe I shouldn't handle them as much so they wont be so dang friendly) and its poor little leg was all kinds of swollen. A little while in the dark and quiet helped it alot (plus it wasn't having to chase after momma and be worried by the other chicks). After a rest, the little one was back up and running (with a slight limp), so it went back to mom and is happy as a clam these days. Maybe isolate your wee little chick and give it a little time. I would say if you don't see any improvement within the next few days it may be time to consider culling. Good luck, sorry about your poor chickie.

Thanks for the encouragement. She is still quiet, but she's eating a bit of crumble, and taking water from an eyedropper. I think her wing is broken. I've never set a bone before, but I'm going to try.

Back
Top Bottom