Injured bird

clicklernuff

Hatching
Jul 6, 2015
Mansfield
I found an injured pigeon by the side of the road a few days ago, it's wing had blood on and had lost some flight feathers, I caught it (it couldn't fly) and rang different rescues etc but was continually told they would just destroy it as they are vermin so I ended up using a large dog cage with some food water and a water bowl and keeping it in there for a few days to see how it went. It's now lost more of the feathers on the wing and I spoke to my vet who gave me some advice on caring for it so I am thinking of keeping it and getting an Avery for it and a friend to keep it company but just wanted some thoughts and advice please as I have chickens and ducks but that's about my bird experience

Welcome to BYC! Unfortunately, wild pigeons carry a large pool of diseases. By bringing it back home, you may have exposed your hens and ducks to a plethora of nasty things. I highly suggest some tight bio security measures be taken so your entire flock isn't wiped out or infested with lice or mites.

Preferably, rehome the bird elsewhere. If you are very very keen on keeping it, be weary and bathe it. Just a tip for when keeping pigeons, they need square footage to walk around on too, not just upper airspace.

Last edited:
My strong advice, don't keep a wild pigeon. There is good reason that the rescues will not provide help for it. If you want to keep pigeons there are plenty of people who raise homers and will sell to you.

Well done rescuing it.

While they can carry diseases, its a low chance of giving anything to your chickens and i have NEVER heard of ducks getting sick from feral pigeons. House it away from them and take proper precautions and all should be fine.

I have a pond with ducks, an orchard with free range chickens and guinea fowl. I have parakeets in an aviary and a pair of geese.

I also have fancy pigeons in a coop, which free fly most days.

I get feral pigeons visiting my grounds, and I have rescued 4 feral pigeons over the years. I have never had an instance of my birds getting sick from a feral pigeon.. not saying it can't happen, but in my view unlikely.. I even have 2 rescued feral pigeons living in my fancy pigeon coop!

Hope you little guy gets better soon!

Well done rescuing it.

While they can carry diseases, its a low chance of giving anything to your chickens and i have NEVER heard of ducks getting sick from feral pigeons.  House it away from them and take proper precautions and all should be fine.

I have a pond with ducks, an orchard with free range chickens and guinea fowl.  I have parakeets in an aviary and a pair of geese.

I also have fancy pigeons in a coop, which free fly most days.

I get feral pigeons visiting my grounds, and I have rescued 4 feral pigeons over the years.  I have never had an instance of my birds getting sick from a feral pigeon.. not saying it can't happen, but in my view unlikely.. I even have 2 rescued feral pigeons living in my fancy pigeon coop! 

Hope you little guy gets better soon! 

Hi thank you for this, he was housed away from u chickens and ducks and all precautions were taken and I has read that a lot of the disease issue was wrong and I had wanted to try to just get some advice off of people who may have been able o help my just give more confirmation that it should just be "put to sleep" it was never about me wanting to keep pigeons just couldn't walk away from a poor thing who was easy prey due to being injured so wanted to see if a bit of time and healing would help but unfortunately he worsened so in the end I took him to the vets for him to be put to sleep, it was a last ditch attempt to try and help if I could buy his injuries were too serious but thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom