Injured by a fox please help

Shelvie1

Hatching
Dec 21, 2021
Hello as the post says about 5 days ago my hen was attacked by a fox. My son scared it away but my hen was left with some nasty wounds.

I cleaned out her wounds the best I could and have been treating the areas daily and using iodine.
There doesn’t seem to be infection. No puss. No heat it’s not red.

Her one leg has been curled up and one of the cuts are right around where the wing attaches.
Her other leg has a cut but it’s useful.
I put her under a heat lamp in a box and keep her inside.

First few days she just sat there. Eating and drinking. Plaid one egg (it was soft) and pooping. Since she only sat there I have rinsed her off daily so she not sitting in pooped.

Well yesterday she has been moving around pushing with the good leg.
She has been eating and drinking. But as of last night has not pooped.

Do not sure what to do.
Her wounds starting to heal over but her leg seems hurt. I press around but don’t feel any broken bones. I pull it out. She shakes in some pain but pulls it back. Her wing kind of just tucked back but like an inch or two away from body.

Not sure what to do for her and I don’t have money for a vet.
Any advice??? Please help

It sounds like you've been providing good care for your injured hen! If she seems like she wants to move a bit, you could provide her with a bit more space and continue to help her gently stretch and move her injured leg. Hopefully it will get better with time.

Can you post some pictures of her wounds? Have you felt the injured leg for any breaks/fractures? It may just be badly sprained/strained, and bruised and very sore. Without xrays, it's hard to say for sure. Even if it's just soft tissue injury, recovery can take time, sometimes weeks to months. If she's not able to stand or keep herself upright then spending some time in a chicken sling each day may help. It will let her rest more comfortably, take stress of the injured leg, help her eat and drink more normally. You do need to supervise, make sure she doesn't freak out about the sling and hurt herself trying to get out. Many birds tolerate it well. Some examples below. Usually you put the sling at a height that the feet just touch the ground.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

5d900e5646be3ce5eb1e6f1645a6ed14.jpg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4--broken-leg-crazy-bird.jpg

I can’t provide much help but hope. Possibly with pictures I might be able to provide somebhelp. But I’ve had my chickens recover from some pretty miraculous stuff. Not to long ago I had one in my indoor ICU because of a fox attack. But being a member here really really helped me through a lot. So you came to the right place. But posting pictures would be best….there are so many knowledgeable people here
Sounds like so far you’ve been taking very good control of the situation

Back
Top Bottom