Injured chick please help!!!

Chrisnum9

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
When I went down stairs to turn off the lights in my brewder area tonight I found one of my chicks laying on her side with her head bent back. It almost looks like she sprained or broke her neck. Has anyone had this happen before? If so what did you do? I took her out and wrapped her in a towel and gave her water and she drank. Then it seemed she couldn't hold her head up and she just wanted to sleep. I felt her neck the best I could and it felt like nothing was out of place but I'm no veterinarian. So if any one could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:
It sounds like wry neck. Put "wry neck" in the search box to find treatments. You must treat quickly.

(There is a chance it is an injury but treat the other condition anyway)

I had one that developed a crooked neck last year at about a week old. I gave her electrolytes and hard boiled eggs and gave her private eating time without needing to compete with the other chicks. At first she would eat and then fall asleep in my hands. After a few days she showed definite improvement as far as her energy level and ability to hold her own in the flock. Her neck always was crooked after that. She was a really sweet hen and I had a special bond with her because of the care I gave her. I ended up culling her when she was about 5 months old because she had other issues.

Sorry this probably doesn't help you much, but good luck to you and your little chick.

Thanks everyone for such quick responses. Her neck is pretty bad bc basically her head is upside-down I would like to make a brace to try to help it. I'm not sure how to make one that keeps her head from turning like this. But I think that would really help bc I couldn't find anything physically wrong with her neck. I have started feeding her vitamins and protein and electrolytes 3 times a day along with water too. I also have her separated from the flock. So once again if anyone could help me with the brace I would really appreciate it thanks!!

glad to hear she's still with you
smile.png

I've never made a brace for a chicken, but could you try using a cardboard tube from inside a toilet roll, strengthened with skewers or something on the outside? I'm trying to think of things that are gentle but strong!

Thank you to everyone for the help. My little chick has seemed to recovered. She is just a little behind the others now in growth but seems to be catching up to them. Once again thanks!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom