Injured chicken šŸ˜°

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
We are having a bit of really cold weather so I went out to check everyone's water and I found my faverolle looking like this.

IMG_20220223_150024733.jpg

There was blood sprayed all over the feeder. She is also missing the feathers on the other side of her face.

IMG_20220223_150122832.jpg

The cockerels are kept separate from her because of their past behavior so all I can think is it was another pullet. I have rinsed her comb and it appears a chunk is missing. The only antiseptic I have is blu kote. Is that safe to put on her if she is still bleeding? I have other antiseptics for humans, I just didn't know if they are safe for chickens. I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Do I keep her separate from the flock?

BlueKote stings because it contains alcohol. Do you have chlorhexidene, Bactine, Betadine, Vetericyn, or can you mix up some saline? Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are good to use as well. Corn starch or flour, or styptic can stop bleeding. Favorolles are mild mannered meek birds, and can be picked on by more aggressive breeds. Can you separate her in a dog crate with food and water inside the coop?

Yes I have a dog crate that fits in the coop. I have betadine and triple antibiotic cream. I will use those. Thank you. She is very mild mannered, which is why I think the cockerels used to pick on her ā˜¹ļø

I was worried at first but she healed up beautifully. Now she just has a few silly looking bald spots. Thank you šŸ¤—
Thatā€™s good. The comb and wattles can BLEED SO BAD it can be scary. But they usually heal really well and really fast. Glad your girl is ok. Itā€™s that time of year. I had two hens who have lived together since birth, and who have roosted next each every night for six years, get into a fight out of nowhere yesterday. Itā€™s in the air. Just make sure she is healed before you put her back or they will pick at her.

Back
Top Bottom