injured chicken adn no vet available

Chickoree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Hi,

One on my chicks, hatched on Easter, was attacked last night by her Mother and Father. I am not sure just why they did this, only that hubby said he put feed in the feeder and they hopped on her, pecked her bloody and smashed her into the mud like they wanted to kill her. I isolated her in a rabbit cage with a false floor so the poop will drop through, in which I put a perch and a small box with hay, scratch feed and water. I put nitrofurantoin on her head where the had pecked her raw and set her broken leg. She made the night ok and was moving around a bit this morning but this evening she is lying on her side, feels feverish and has not eaten or taken fluid at all, which means no antibiotic on board.

I have some terramycin pills. Is it possible to grind them up and make a suspension of them and kinda shoot it down her gullett?
Does anybody have any idea if that med would work, I know it is used for bacterial infection and I am assuming this is what is causing the fever.

Any ideas would be welcome.

I and aes thank you!

Tink
æs

A tiny amount of aspirin for the pain and shock, use a dropper or syringe to get fluid on board ASAP. Keep her warm, quiet and dark.

I'm sorry to say that you've probably got a sad outcome headed your way.
One of my precious silkie Roo's called Tinsel was attacked by a pheasant a few weeks ago, and was in a very bad way soI did the only kind thing possible. If she's suffering, it's best not to let her go on.
I really hope she pulls through for you x

I am afraid you are correct about the outcome. Thanks for the advice, we were wondering as well about the aspirin adn wasn't sure you could put something down the beak, so to speak. I sorry to hear about Tinsel, that is always hard. Going out now to do what I can.
If she shows no improvement in the morning, I might have to ask my farrier to take care of her as I don't think I have the heart to do it. What is the most humane way to end her suffering, if it comes to that?

There is advice online on "dispatch". I used the neck breaking method, easier with tinsel as he was hand reared, so wasn't scared by being handled and it caused him no distress. I was literally heart broken for days, if you're not confident that you can do it quickly and firmly - get someone else to do it.

Well, she didn't make the night.. Thanks for the advice. War Chicken, why would one not give aspirin? I had already done so when you posted. Did I kill her? Please be honest in your answer, it would be an error I do not want to repeat.

Aspirin is an anticoagulant which you don't want to give to anything that has any injuries. Their blood needs to be able to clot to stop bleeding.

It's impossible to say whether it killed her but it certainly didn't help. Aspirin is a weak analgesic but an effective anticoagulant so it will do very little to dull the pain of a serious injury.

Well, she didn't make the night.. Thanks for the advice. War Chicken, why would one not give aspirin? I had already done so when you posted. Did I kill her? Please be honest in your answer, it would be an error I do not want to repeat.
My condolences,it is very heartbreaking when a beloved pet dies. No,aspirin would not have caused her death. Aspirin is a pain reliever and helps to alleviate pain and swelling. The only time you do not want to give aspirin,is if there is SEVERE bleeding,aspirin does thin the blood,wait till bleeding stops. I use aspirin on all my animals(cats-1/4 baby aspirin every three days),chickens included,it does dull the pain.

Your little one had injuries that were very severe,and her body could not handle them. Infection,shock is probably what caused her death.

Last edited:
Aspirin is in fact an anti platelet not an anticoagulant, the analgesic effect in animals (except felines) is well documented. It helps with shock, as in cases of shock the body's organs begin to shut down and clots can form.
All my chucks that get injured or ill have aspirin, the only time I wouldn't give it would be in haemorrhage. Superficial bleeding will not be affected by aspirin.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the good information and the conviction that I didn't inadvertently kill her while trying to help her. I had steeled myself for the worst when I felt how hot she was. I was heartened when, after having the meds, I went out to give fluids and she clamped her tongue with a bit of strength to keep me out, she didn't like the taste the first time around. She had seemed to be rallying, but alas, her poor little self had just not enough strength for the long haul.

Thanks again!

Tink

Back
Top Bottom