Injured Chicken - Please help!

Now that she is getting better it is necessary to start giving her plain yogurt. There is a thread on BYC that asks the question on how to feed yogurt to a chicken. You have been giving the bird electrolytes and antibiotics, you need to get the good bacteria back in the gut and yogurt is the best and it is a wonderful energy boost. Be sparingly at first and give more each day. Do not take her off the eletrolytes, but gradually decrease this by concentration or volume. I have a red jungle fowl rooster that is roaming my property becuase I force fed him electrolytes, vitamines and antibiotics for a week. He is doing great. BTY, I have never seen a chicken with any kind of appetite refuse a bowl of yogurt. Usually you really do have to run away when you put the bowl down for the flock !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kcallis, that is truly wonderful news! I read your thread and kept my fingers crossed for her. I've never experienced anything like that with my chickens - and I know I would be really upset to see them so ill.

I'm so happy she's doing better! Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery!

Penny

Thanks for the advice! I've been giving her yogurt for a couple of days now - She loves it. I will keep her on the high dose of electrolytes and antibiotics for the full 14 days, but then take her off the antibiotics and wean her off the electrolytes.

Thank you all for your concern and advice. I will post exactly what we did (with all the great advice on BYC) to get her better on another thread so that people can learn from our experience (and mistakes).

Just wanted to update everyone that Little Red is fully recovered and doing great. She got over the pneumonia, and has had all her stitches taken out. The wounds healed beautifully, with minimal scaring. She has pin feathers coming in and is acting like a normal healthy chicken.
Thank you all for all the advice!

I to have been following this thread and am so happy to hear the good news; you tended to her needs beautifully!

Back
Top Bottom