Injured chicken - several questions

jhunting

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Hi all,
So we had our first predator attack (assumed hawk based on the pattern of the injuries) on Saturday, Jan. 3rd. We didn't notice right away because there was not a lot of blood and hardly any feather loss on the gal that was attacked. Anywho, we separated her out on Monday the 5th, and have her indoors in a dog crate with a heat lamp, food, water, etc... That first night we gave her a bath and cleaned the wounds up as best we could. There seem to be two good sized gashes on either side of her tail and one smaller gash on the top of it. One of the side gashes is down to the muscle. We have been applying blue coat to the areas daily and she seems ok. Eating and drinking, her poop appears normal, but she does seem bored. I'm mainly wondering when it will be ok to let her rejoin the flock. Is two weeks too soon? Our main concerns being the cold and risk of infection with rejoining the flock. It's hard to tell how the wounds are doing due to the Bluecoat covering it all at this point. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to be draining anymore and is less inflamed. I am a nurse, so I'm no stranger to infected people-wounds, but chickens are a different story! Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
When wounds are healed , you will know. You are a nurse. Best when healthy for sure . 2 weeks should do it.
thumbsup.gif

Sorry to hear of the attack Consider your chicken lucky. My hawk encounters were not as fortunate.

WISHING YOU THE BEST

You can always put a mirror in her crate and hang a cucumber from the top or offer her a slice of cantaloupe or spaghetti squash. :)

Also, I would offer boiled egg and meal worms in addition to her regular food. Tissue injuries require protein uptake.

Sounds like you're doing great! Treat it just like if YOU had an injury. Chickens are attracted to exposed, red flesh, so make sure she has NONE of that before putting her out in the flock. After a week, a chicken will have to find their way in the pecking order again, and putting a "new" chicken in the flock with red exposed makes them an instant target. You think the hawk was bad? Try a flock of chickens pecking at a wound... Charming creatures.

I'd wait at least two weeks, maybe three. She may be bored, but at least she will heal and is alive. You know what is best for your bird. Let her stir in her own juices. She'd thank you if she knew better. ;)

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom