Injured Chicken

mrchickflick

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
I had a critter get into the pen last night and took one of my chickens and also has a chicken lose a leg..she seems to be doing ok, though I have concerned she might need medical attention. She actually lost her foot, the leg it self seems in tact..but does look a little mangled.. she is eating and watering some, so i know she is moving around... What can I do, if anything... ?

i have no way to picture the injury so i will describe it...
the foot it self is gone at the elbow/ the leg is intact, but the feathers are missing and it is mangled... and raw. she is moving and eating and watering... im not sure that she will make it... as she is spending her time bedding down... I do have hope she will pull through..
what can I do to help her heal/ i figure if she makes it she probably will be a lame chicken, meaning no egg layer, but she will make a good pet... help

Hi there!
I am sorry you are in the situation right now.
To start
I think you need to clean up the leg and wrap it up to help keep dirt and poop away from the wounds to help keep infection away.

You may want to look into making it a "chicken sling" too.

It would be good to use saline solution to wash off her foot/leg where needed and then apply some Neosporin(NO cain). The main thing is NOT to have her outside where she could get fly strike (maggots in the wound).

There has been other chickens losing legs to predators, especially from raccoon attacks., one legged chickens can certainly survive with some extra care. No free ranging. She is laying around a lot because first she is in pain and secondly she has to adapt her movements to the situation.

She will learn to balance in time but for now, she may even use her wings to help her move.

you may want to post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread and also ask if there is a thread on the care of one-legged chickens.

Back
Top Bottom