Injured chook

T and R Fox

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2016
Poitou Charentes, France
Hi, We have 2 hens who are about 18 months old. They have free range of our garden which is approx 2500sqm. 2 days ago 1 of the hens was perfect one minute, up at the window and door trying to get into the house where they know the food comes from, then we think she had a fall in the garage (always exploring). The next minute she was standing on one leg by the garage door and couldn't move. We checked her over but could find no obvious breaks, so thought perhaps a strain. We've kept her in a box with straw in the garage and have been feeding her by hand, although she won't eat much and drink none. She's had yogurt, scrambled eggs, corn, 1/3 of junior aspirin for pain relief, pasta, a little grass and other things she likes. Yesterday she did an egg an ostrich would have been proud of. Now she tries to stand and is slowly starting to put pressure on her injured leg, but tends to use her wings to balance. But she is also now doing green poop of which we have only read bad things about. We live in rural France and there are no vets around here who will look at chickens. They just think go and buy some more hens from the market.
Sorry if this is a little long winded, but we've tried to give as much info as possible.
Does anyone have any ideas we can try to try and get her better please?

Please post in fullest detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread I hope the folks there will be able to suggest what might help her.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I found and approved your other thread, so you should get some help soon. Best of luck with your bird!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh I am so sorry about your bird!!
hugs.gif
It is so sad to see them inured or suffering. You can give them up to a full baby aspirin by the way. a 1/4 of an adult. I would keep her quiet and isolated in a caged off area so she can rest and not move around much. Feed her what ever she will eat for now...eggs, pasta, rice, damp chicken feed, mealworms, etc...just to keep her eating. Maybe some liquid baby vitamins or nutri drench too. Vitamins always help a bird heal faster. Just keep up with the supportive care and if she isn't mortally wounded, she should heal over.

Good luck and sending her healing vibes!! :)

Thank you for the information and your kind words of support. Interesting about the junior aspirin. Will give her a full one tomorrow. Have had some antibiotics from the vet, but been advised on another thread to be careful if it's not a bacterial infection. She has been eating better this afternoon, so will keep you posted on progress. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom