Injured duck-flock took care of her

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
I have 6 ducks that I let out on our pond for the first time 4 days ago. Well once they were out they refused to come back to the coop at night and have been sleeping outside unprotected, giving me gray hair. We tried to herd them back in but couldn't get them out of the water. So today something seems wrong. They aren't swimming but they are way far across the pond up in the grass. When I took the kayak over the check on them they didn't hop in the water to get away from me they ran further up the hill into the brush. Kind of strange. I could see 5 of them pretty well but one runner was lying in the grass and I couldn't see her good. She was moving though. So later tonight they swim over to the house side and I still can't get a good look at the one runner. Then miracle of miracles it starts to get dark and ....oh my gosh....the ducks are walking up the back yard heading for the coop! I was so surprised! Then I see the runner is limping and having a hard time. Her foot is torn completely through from ankle to toe. I posted on the injuries site about her foot. I'm really worried about her. ... I think its interesting that the flock was staying with her today in the grass instead of swimming like they usually do. Even when I approached them they stayed with her. Then when I had given up on them coming home, tonight they walked up the hill with her and went into their pen. Its like they were protecting her. I think too if they were attacked last night it may have convinced them to head for home tonight. I'm so glad they came home now I have to figure out what to do with the injured runner. I hope she makes it.

Possibly it was a snapping turtle. If they're apprehensive about going into the water, that may very well be what it is.

I remember being all of 10 and sitting on my grandpa's pier watching the goose and her goslings swim in the pond then "ploop" one was gone, just in a heartbeat, drug under. They do it-without hesitation.

This may be the culprit. My grandpa then baited a single line from one side of the pond to the other with a line that had about 10 hooks attached. To those he attached rotten chicken livers. In 3 days, the pond was clear of snappers, and grandma was busy fryin' 'em up!!

That is a good possibility. I would think if it was coon or dog she would be a dead duck right now. And they didn't swim today like they had been. The other night the kids and I were fishing and my son put a grasshopper on his hook. Well he didn't even cast it, just plunked it in the water about 1 foot out and something hit is hard enough to scare us and it cut the line before he even pulled up on the rod. My husband thought it may have been a turtle. Suddenly the pond doesn't seem as pretty and peaceful as it used to.....time for some turtle soup.....

Back
Top Bottom