Injured Duck -- I don't think it will survive

My runner duck lost a leg (not even a stub left) to a fox attack. He was really beat up and had feathers missing on his back. I took him in and washed him in a betadine and water solution. I put him in a tank with a bulb and gave him a homemade electolyte solution and food..within reach. He perked up within a few days and was trying to jump around on one leg. Within 2 days his wound was healed up where I couldn't see any damage to the leg.

I did have to seperate him as the others will pick on him, especially where his feathers are missing. He was unable to get to the food dish when he was with the others and he got weak. So now he is living in the garage until he gets stronger and his feathers grow back.

He will always be my special needs duck but I hope one day he will be able to get around a bit better on the one leg (he kind of hops and rests). He can swim just fine but has a hard time getting up on the shore out of the water. I also hope to be able to intergrate him in with the flock again once he is stronger. I do bring him out daily to be with the others but he kind of just lays with the one duck and keeps to himself to avoid getting picked on.

Ducks can survive some pretty traumatic things and it sounds like your duck is a trooper too!

So far I've not found anyone who will care for a duck. The sugar water suggestion was awesome. I gave him some "spiked" water yesterday and he was back to sitting with his head upright. We had tried him in a shallow bin of water which was great for cleaning his underside up. I have him in a wading pool and he seems quite happy. I just hope he can get his injured leg back underneath him and start bearing weight on it again. His alertness gives me hope. His wing has a wound on it but it now doesn't appear as bad as I thought. It's mostly just plucked clean, but there is a wound. He's pretty wet at the moment so when he dries back up I will try to doctor it again.

The duck has been quite pleased with my daughter retrieving leaves for him
smile.png
When he wouldn't take them from her the other day, we knew he was feeling bad.

Sadlly, he has passed.

The sugar water made a huge difference. The wading pool made a difference. I think my mistake was I had him sitting in the pool for the entire day. At night, I thought he'd be better off resting on ground. Apparently that wasn't a good idea. I feel like he had a heart attack trying to wiggle around. I'm kicking myself for this but I thought he'd need some time out of the water. <sigh>

My daughter that has been getting leaves for him took it really bad. She had gotten attached to him. But we did what we could do and he didn't make it.
sad.png

Most surely a bath , everyday if possible. we have raised a goose with broken leg. Not saying yours is broke. Had a bei with hurt leg would not put any weight on it at all hopped everywhere. She is all right now. Get romain lettuce for your duck they love it. Just lost 13 to dog attack first of may. managed to save one with head injury. Dont give up they can survive alot with time and care. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom